Re: BTTB BR 118

Postby scaro » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:35 pm

I thought the BR118 was a C-C loco . . . like this:

http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/wgate ... akt_image=

Ben
scaro

Postby BTTB Fan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:45 am

The link does not work, but, as far as I know, BR118 exists both in the 4-axle and 6-axle versions.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby scaro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:54 am

Yes, something I'd not realised . . .

Do you have a Tillig one? I'm keen to find whether the wheels could be easily removed and replaced with NWSL P87 ones.

Ben
scaro

Postby Christtking » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:38 am

This is what confuses me the most. I know former BTTB was not very good (consistent) at printing (silk-screening) (some of their products). Nor painting them, but they were close enough to someones's standards. This loco model and many others were built for many years in massive quatities. Understandable. The above photo posted by ConducTTor, (if I am not mistaken) shows the model (or it seems to look that way) with a lighter shade of wine red and ivory. I have 2 models like this one. I am pretty sure they were built years apart (I think in the 80s). They have different operational numbers and the colors are kind of the same on the upper shell. They are both claret wine (dark red) and white (!). One has 4 see thru windows in the engine (motor) area/ side, the other has 2 louvers and 2 see thru windows/ side. And another thing! One has the bogies (wheels covers) moulded in gray, the other in black. Maybe different manufacturers (?BTTB and PIKO?), or BTTB used (owned) 2 different moulds? for the upper shells.
Christtking

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:43 am

Christtking wrote:One has 4 see thru windows in the engine (motor) area/ side, the other has 2 louvers and 2 see thru windows/ side. And another thing! One has the bogies (wheels covers) moulded in gray, the other in black.

This is not a problem. The earlier versions had 4 windows. Later two of them were replaced with louvers. The bogie color also changed but I don't know exactly when. As for the body paint colors, I'm not sure.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:34 pm

To ConducTTor: Thank you very much! I've been browsing on the NET and found all kinds of photos (all kinds of versions) for both kinds, 4 axles and 6 axles. The earlier versions had long grab bars under the front windscreens (both windshields) some did not. Some minor adaptions during their years in service, I guess. It is hard to tell what colour they are (were) exactly especially from b&w photos. I will keep searching. I need to find some photos of the real life prototypes with the matching numbers from the models.
Christtking

Postby LVG1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:51 am

Christtking wrote:The above photo posted by ConducTTor, (if I am not mistaken) shows the model (or it seems to look that way) with a lighter shade of wine red and ivory. I have 2 models like this one. I am pretty sure they were built years apart (I think in the 80s). They have different operational numbers and the colors are kind of the same on the upper shell. They are both claret wine (dark red) and white (!). One has 4 see thru windows in the engine (motor) area/ side, the other has 2 louvers and 2 see thru windows/ side. And another thing! One has the bogies (wheels covers) moulded in gray, the other in black. Maybe different manufacturers (?BTTB and PIKO?), or BTTB used (owned) 2 different moulds? for the upper shells.

At the prototype, all locomotives' carbodies (except for few pre-production units) had the same colors until the early 1990's. Only the arrangement of stripes slightly changed. They were bordeaux red and ivory. The ivory color looked almost white when new but could become more yellowish by the time (depending on air pollution and cleaning agents used). The dark red color simply faded.
The chassis were initially all black. Only from 1978 on, the trucks (bogies) were recolored into gray when they needed new paint.
While the colors for the prototype were standardized, the availability of identical color tones for other materials (like plastics) was rather poor. So the color tones at the models were usually not too correct and often slightly changed from batch to batch.

The prototype's engine room windows were changed from the mid-1970's on. In the late 1980's, all locomotives of this type (except for the government train's locomotives) had two grilles and two non-openable windows per side instead of the initial four openable windows.
Zeuke and later Berliner TT-Bahnen initially offered the initial arrangement of windows. But in the mid-1980's, they reworked the molds and offered the later arrangement from that time on.
So both versions are from the same manufacturer. Piko didn't make TT scale in GDR times.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Christtking » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:42 pm

To LVG1: Thank you again!
Christtking

Return to Berliner TT Bahnen TT Scale Models