broad gauging tilligs to 5'3" - to al reibel

broad gauging tilligs to 5'3" - to al reibel

Postby scaro » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:00 pm

hi al (and to anyone else who cares to contribute)

a while back you commented on how hard it was to get tillig loco wheels off axles to replace them with NWSL wheels. i am wondering if you could give some detail of the jig you said you made to do it.

my tillig V100 'start' has arrived and this looks like the first hurdle to 'broad gauging' it. the 2.42mm NEM wheels when replaced with 1.63mm P87 ones will allow the extra 1.5mm of gauge for aussie 5'3".

cheers, ben
scaro

Re: broad gauging tilligs to 5'3" - to al reibel

Postby areibel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Ben,
The Tillig wheelsets are on my BR120, and it looks like the center is actually molded onto the axle with the tread in place. I think it was Carsten that commented that you will destroy the wheel getting it apart! It's not a huge issue, I'm going to use NWSL wheelsets with a 2mm axle bore so unless they have some sort of spline or something on the end I think I can slip the new wheels on.
I do have a Plan B. I bought some 2mm axle rod from NWSL, so if nothing else I'll cut the axles to save the gear and mount it on a new axle. I'm hoping that a little Lock Tite will hold the gear on securely. I'll have to dig it out and try getting one apart down in my TT SHop of Horrors. (that's what my youngest thinks- he saw me butchering several of the little Tillig 0-8-0's and wondered why I buy locomotives and cut them apart!)
Al
areibel

Postby scaro » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:45 am

Thanks Al

On my Tillig V100 they have molded the wheel on - as the plastic centre actually thinly covers the metal at the axle end. Trying to get it off without destroying the gear looks like an issue. I think I might need to file a piece of brass with a slot to hold it in a vice and tap it out slowly.

But didn’t you say you had a jig to do it?

BTTB wheels are actually easier to get off axles by the looks of it. And cheaper locos too ...

Cheers, Ben
scaro

Postby areibel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:41 am

I have a jig I made out of a short piece (1 inch) of 1 1/2 inch square steel tubing with a slot cut into it. I use it with my Sensipress to push the axle out of a wheel, (originally designed for HO size it works OK for TT). To get the gear off a TT axle I think I'll have to do something a litle different. The slot in my jig is over 1/8 inch wide, I think I'd have to do what you said to get the gears off. Use a sheet of brass and cut a slot with a hack saw or Dremel so the axle just fits.
areibel

Return to Prototypes / Models