Breaking in new locomotives

Breaking in new locomotives

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:17 am

Just curious if anyone has a specific 'ritual' for breaking in locos? Also, do you disassemble new locos and oil them? Thanks in advance
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Breaking in new locomotives

Postby areibel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 pm

For my Tillig or Piko locomotives, I just put them on the track! They're lubed at the factory so I don't worry about it.
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:30 pm

I lubricate my locomotives on a fairly routine basis. This is really important since I seldom buy new engines, and they often get to me needing work. Most of my fleet (all gauges except N and Z) are at least 10 years old, often more than 40 years old, the oldest item of rolling stock is a 1913 Ives O gauge tank car that I got for free.

For open frame motors, it is important to clean the commutator off every once in a while. Gear boxes can benefit from the occasional tear apart and dust/gunk removal. For most gear boxes, I use white lithium grease, others I use a graphite based grease. It is important to make sure that the lubricant that you use is compatable with the materials used to make up the gear boxes.

While the engine is apart for cleaning/upkeep, check the connections for the wiring, paying special attention to solder joints, checking for defects. There are several types of defects, but I will not go into detail about those right now, otherwise this will become a very long post. (I was sent to a soldering school a few years ago, before the accident.)

It is very, very important that when the engine is put back together, that you put it together right, misaligned gears and other components can turn your top of the line engine into a hunk of junk in no time.

I hope this was of some help to someone.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby TTSMR » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:40 pm

You're going to think this is totally 'nuts' but, I break in my new dc motors by running them in....distilled water!

Thats right ... water!

I learned this from an old school model airplane guy when I got into electric model airplanes.

He suggested I completely submerge my dc motors in water and run them at varying speeds.

As the brushes break in, the water flushes out the carbon dust and keeps the motor cool during break in.

And distilled water isnt conductive!

You can actuall see the water get cloudy from the bebris.

I will change out the water and run it a second time.

I then blow them out and dry them with compressed air. Then I do a very good lub on them.

I havent had a problem with my motors after breaking in this way.

I havent compared them to see if this is any better but it seems to work well.

I am not recommending this to you, just answering a question! (my disclaimer!)

Try it at your own risk!

Ok,,,now you can call me crazy!

Don
TTSMR

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:14 am

Hey TTSMR, welcome to the forum! I NEVER thought about this. It's a fantastic idea - I'll try it out one of these days on some older motor that needs cleaning.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion