Brass HOn3 Hopper for TT?

Brass HOn3 Hopper for TT?

Postby railtwister » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:05 pm

The other day I found a little brass HOn3 EBT 2-bay hopper car that I'd forgotten I had bought at an auction several years back. It was made by Precision Scale and as I remember, they were pretty pricey at the time. For a brass model, they contained a rather serious error, the model had hoppers that sloped in from the sides, while the prototype had sides that went straight down from the sides, which gave them a rather distinctive look. I set it on the shelf over my computer, thinking maybe I should sell or trade it, since I have almost no HOn3 stuff other than a couple of plastic freight car kits and 4 MDC HO Overton passenger cars that I narrowed to make them freelanced HOn3 over 20 years ago.

It wasn't until today I realized it was sitting on the shelf next to some of my TT freight cars, and then it hit me. This thing is pretty close to TT size! I got out my calipers and found it to be approximately 31 feet log, 10.6 feet wide and sides are just over 8 feet high (about 11.6 feet high with trucks). Unfortunately, the HOn3 trucks can't easily be widened, but I was able to fit a pair of Gold Coast TT trucks on it by carefully reaming the truck's bolsters. It seems to sit about 6 scale inches higher than I would like, but it's probably not worth trying to lower it, although I probably should shim the couplers down a bit.

It has six panels between the ribs, and the grab irons are spaced a bit wide for TT, but I think other than that, it looks more like a TT standard gauge hopper than an HOn3 EBT hopper. I think it's close enough!

Now, were there any 31 foot long, six panel 2 bay hoppers, and if so what roads had them? Or should I freelance something?

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Re: Brass HOn3 Hopper for TT?

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:23 am

I had looked at the HOn3 hoppers from Blackstone Models. they are pricey but very nice.
I thought that they were a bit large. I would have pursued the idea if the resin molds had not come available.

It might still be a viable idea.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: Brass HOn3 Hopper for TT?

Postby CSD » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:43 pm

... Or you could buy one of Bill's hoppers and spend your time on something that is prototypically correct...
Mark
//S
CSD

Return to Prototypes / Models