BR41's

Re: BR41's

Postby Arseny » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:03 pm

areibel wrote:The drivers are too small on the BR56 and too big for the 23's- the 41 is perfect, and to me if the driving wheels aren't close to the correct size then the wheelbase is off and the locomotive doesn't look "right".

I studied this question sometime ago, together with Nikolay from RailTT. We had found some American steam locomotives that can be modelled using BR23. But I've forgotten which one...
Arseny

Postby Christtking » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Joachim Beckmann (owner of BECKMANN TT), does not offer any spare parts for sale/resale. He is a very private individual, I've tried contacting him in person when I was in Berlin, it is imposible to get hold of him. Maybe if anyone has a direct contact thru Tillig company might get hold of him. Modellbahn Puerner offers this model for under 300 Euros.
Last edited by Christtking on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby areibel » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:31 pm

The BR41 is the first TT model I've found with 63" (1600mm) drivers, and that's a very common size in US Steam Locomotives.
the BR23 would be good for something with a 69 or 70 inch driver, like some of the later passenger locomotives, but I'm stuck on an Erie N3 Mikado. I've only seen pics (they were all scrapped well before I was born) but that's one TT model I'd like to have!
Model Railroad news had a great series of articles on scratchbuilding a steam locomotive boiler out of styrene, there are enough detail parts that I could get close but the chassis is the hard part.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:52 pm

The BR 65.1 has 1600mm drivers. Gutzold makes the model.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:30 pm

ConducTTor wrote:The BR 65.1 has 1600mm drivers. Gutzold makes the model.

Not to be confused with the "plain" BR65 - http://www.ask.com/wiki/DB_Class_65 - which has the same wheel arrangement (2-8-4 in US parlance) but only 1500mm driving wheel diameter.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby gerhard_k » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:33 pm

areibel wrote: Model Railroad news had a great series of articles on scratchbuilding a steam locomotive boiler out of styrene, there are enough detail parts that I could get close but the chassis is the hard part.

This topic interests me. Do you have issue dates? In fact, are you sure it was Model Railroad News? As indicated by their name, they don't usually have modelling articles, just reports on ready-made items.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby areibel » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Oops! It was actually Model Railroad Hobbyist, online.
areibel

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:12 pm

I felt like that article was more of an extensive bash, than a scratchbuild.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Christtking » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:09 pm

To areibel (and other members interested in this model or other): A few months ago I just found a company (I believe they are from Poland) on FACEBOOK called UMF (Unique Model Factory) and I sent a message to the owner about that I am interested in his models and if he could manufacture other models. He replies that he manufactures any type of model if I could supply him the drawings, he makes them out of brass and some out of plastic I believe. The models are extremely fragile and adapted with a lot of details. Maybe if you have time check this out. I think he might help you out with the chassis and/or some other stuff. Good luck!
Christtking

Postby areibel » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Interesting site! It sends you to http://www.eaos.pl/ so I plugged that into my Google translator to read it.
One question I have, when it lists a price as "Price: 1500zł" Is that the same currency as the Polish Zloty, some are also listed as PLN so that the trusty currency converter at XE.com will do. The detail is very nice and the price isn't bad considering they're custom.
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models