BR-56, repair or save for its part value?

BR-56, repair or save for its part value?

Postby D Martin » Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 pm

:wtf: I have two BTTB BR-56 steam locos, 2-8-0 design. One seems to have a bad drive gear, runs rough and makes buzzing or clicking type noise as it moves along. Same noise if powering the motor with test leads. I am not sure there is enough value in the noisy loco to justify a lot of dis-assembly to find if a gear is broken. The motors are not identical, but yet the loco with possibly bad gear may be useful as spare parts for the one that runs well. Any advice? I would consider trading both BR-56s for other TT items.

Dennis in W. Tennessee, USA
D Martin

Re: BR-56, repair or save for its part value?

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 24, 2014 10:24 pm

I would try to make one good loco out of two and keep the rest as parts for whatever. I use old barely working locos to test new track while I'm still using tools and things are dirty.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: BR-56, repair or save for its part value?

Postby holtlen48 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Seeing this short thread prompted me to unpack my BR56's (2 of them) after a recent move and check them out. One has been running well for about 8 years now (the other never was a great runner) but on test yesterday, both had developed this same problem of noise and chatter. On disassembly of the one that made the most noise I found the main gear between the cylinders to be loose on the shaft, and the gear fell apart when I tried to gently put it back in position. Most likely the other one is almost ready to quit also.Just a guess but maybe that is the same as those described earlier in this thread, and I don't see how it can be easily remedied. I think these will be display models from here on.
holtlen48

Return to General Discussion