BR 01 sought

BR 01 sought

Postby Marquette » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:00 am

Hi!

I'm looking for a BR01. It doesn't need to run nor be in good condition at all, as it will be hacked apart for the frame and a few other parts, BTTB or Tillig is also irrelevant. So in short I'd prefer to buy scrap than something that someone could still get good mileage out of.

Also, driver wheelsets (3) from the BR 23.10 are something I'm looking for.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: BR 01 sought

Postby CSD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:33 pm

You may want to consider looking at the spare parts catalog from Tillig. This site has a listing of all of it:

http://www.modellbahnshop-sebnitz.de/ (look under Ersatzteile)

Most European stores can get parts for you as long as you have the part number or you can order direct from Tillig.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Here is a photo of a BR01 if anyone is curious. It is a 4-6-2 tender locomotive.

What parts are you looking for?
I have a few shell sections from old BTTB steamers, and a small "junk box" of parts. I can take a look and see if I have any parts I have that might fit the bill for you.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:23 pm

Well, at TT-board.de I was given the suggestion to use the frame from the 01 as a basis, cutting down as needed, with wheels from the 23.10 to build a Canadian Pacific G2; so, it's the frame I'm mainly after, and the various other parts from "below the waistline" to see what I can use for building my G2.

I'm thinking though to maybe use wheels from 3mm Society instead... anyone can say how they are? Whichever wheelsets I use, I'll be getting them turned down to Proto:87 profile.
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:31 pm

What is the diameter of the wheels?

I have some OO gauge Garratt wheelsets that may be usable, although they lack counterweights, which would only be a visual problem.
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:14 pm

70", so 14.8mm scaled down.
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:47 pm

The loose steam loco wheelsets that I have are only about a scale 60" tall.

A suggestion, if you can find one, a Tri-Ang 4-6-2 chassis has wheels that are just shy of a TT scale 72" tall. (The scale measures in 3" increments)

That should work, at least it would for me.

I do believe that something similar can be obtained from the 3mm society, as they sell kits that fit their A4 class 4-6-2 kits, which are a copy of the old GEM kits that I have one of.
I do believe I posted a photo of the chassis under the "A4 4-6-2" name under the GEM kits section of the model library, so that should be of some help with identifying one.
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:58 pm

72" vice 70" falls into the "close enough" range for specialty things like steam drivers. 72" drivers would be 15.24mm, 70" drivers would be 14.8mm.

Hmm. Do you have one of the Tri-Ang 4-6-2s at hand? I'd be very curious as to the wheelbase and axle spacing and such; if it's close enough to a G2 I could go for that and live with the bigger wheels. Otherwise, I'll probably just go with some 15mm wheels from 3mm Society.
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:19 am

Actually, I have two of them. The chassis was used in 3 of the 10 locomotives that Tri-Ang sold. (3 of the other engines used the same motor (0-6-0), two additional (4-6-0 and 2-6-2 are based on the 0-6-0).

I have one of their Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2s. Tri-Ang chassis made their way into a number of British kits, much like how HP Products components made their way into many North American kits. There are slight differences between the two chassis, namely the sides being present on the Merchant Navy's trailing truck, and no side plates installed on the A4 chassis, and spoked wheels on the A4 with disc wheels on the Merchant Navy. And the length of the pony truck is slightly longer on the A4, the drawbar connection is also different, but hooks up the same, and imparts the same length.

Tri-Ang 4-6-2 Chassis:

A4 Chassis (bottom) compared to the Merchant Navy loco - side view:

A4 Chassis (bottom) compared to the Merchant Navy loco - top view:

A4 Chassis (bottom) compared to the Merchant Navy loco - bottom view:

The frame itself is 4 9/16" long, roughly 45' 9" in TT scale. The pony truck makes the chassis a little longer, as does the trailing truck. The chassis for my GEM A4 kit is 5 3/4" long. The complete frame itself is a little longer, as the front coupler and it's mounting block adds about 5/8" to the length. As this does not fit in the front valence of the A4 kit, it had to be removed.

Between driving wheel centers of the 1st and 3rd driving wheelsets is 17 scale feet. Between wheel centers is 8' 6" (TT scale).
The pony truck wheels are approx 3' 6" in TT scale. The wheel's centers are roughly 8.5" apart. Due to the clearances in the axle bearing, this is hard to get dead-on.
The trailing truck wheels are between 3' 9" and 4' 0".

The motor used on the chassis is the XT-60, which has it's own worm gear installed. Not every kit has the XT-60 included. I had to buy one for the A4 Kit, and I have a spare one - for the time being. Said motor cost me about $15 on eBay -each, plus shipping.

And yes, I will destroy that damn camera - once it's replacement shows up.... (There will be pictures of that posted in later post.)
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:29 am

According to the 3SMR website, the chassis is available from Worsley Works.
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade