Bone Valley Models shapeways TT hoppers, many styles

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

Bone Valley Models shapeways TT hoppers, many styles

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:01 pm

ok, it looks like mr bone valley has gotten the TT 'itch'.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bonevall ... +Scale&s=0

four hopper types, 70 ton 3 bays, both the nine panel we spoke of and what i believe is the more common 14 panel one, and two types of 2-bay. designed to be generic. i think these would fulfil many needs in TT. if he's supported by sales, he'll do more.

ben
Last edited by scaro on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Re: Bone Valley Models shapeways TT hoppers, many styles

Postby j p » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:55 pm

link doesn't work
But it is possible to use search, of course.
I tired to compare those briefly with PRR hoppers and the only one similar would be PRR H31. The rivetting seems to be wrong though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Postby LVG1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:58 pm

"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Arseny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:59 pm

But can you tell some words about the prototypes?
Arseny

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:39 pm

the idea was to do pretty generic things. i suggest asking alex of bone valley via the website what they are.

if you think they could be improved or more accurate, you could feed back to alex on it as he's happy to hear ideas.

the 14 panel car was an NYC design, i believe, or at least, i believe they were the first big owner ... perhaps the PRR didn't pick up that design.

cheers, ben
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:21 pm

PRRs 3bay hoppers were 13 panel and 12 panel
j p

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:46 pm

NYC was PRR's major rival. it is unlikely PRR would have copied an NYC design, out of professional jealousy at least! but plenty of northeast RRs had 14-panel hoppers.

so far as i understand, original owners of 14 panel 3 bay hoppers include: ATSF, DT&I, E-L, NYC, P&LE, B&A (both NYC subsidiaries), D&H, Clinchfield, Seaboard, WM, D&RGW, ATSF, GN, WRA, GA, FEC and C&EI.

Later SCL, L&N, and then Family Lines, Seaboard System, C&O and CSX, and BN and Conrail inherited these hoppers through mergers and takeovers. many RRs owned them at different times, for example, C&O bought a batch in 1985 while WM had a batch since 1959.

i am reading the Modern Freight Car List (MFCL) to try to pick up details of variations. the main one appears to be that some had more welded ribs with others having all riveted, but things are rarely that simple with freight cars. at least three major builders built such hoppers and it stands to reason there were differences.

when i order mine i'll provide some dimensions.
scaro

Postby LVG1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

scaro wrote:the idea was to do pretty generic things. i suggest asking alex of bone valley via the website what they are.

There are types named for 6 of the 10 cars on Shapeways.
I don't know, how meaningful these designations are.

I know hardly anything about American freight cars. But may be, someone of you can tell, which information these designations contain?
  • U15 TT Scale 1:120
  • H6/U11 TT Scale 1:120
  • U13 TT Scale 1:120
  • TT Scale U10 Original Style Roof with Roofwalk
  • U8 TT Scale (1:120) with Roofwalk
  • U12 TT Scale (1:120) with Roofwalk
  • TT Scale 2 Bay Hopper 6 Panel
  • TT Scale 40' Triple Hopper 9 Panel
  • TT Scale 2 Bay Hopper 8 Panel
  • TT Scale 40' Triple Hopper 14 Panel
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 pm

'U8' to 'U15' are designations of the Seaboard Coast Line and before that, the Atlantic Coast Line, who owned these wagons.

They were all used to carry phosphate rock from the Bone Valley in Central Florida to the Port of Tampa. The phosphate is exported around the world.

The U15,U11 and U13 were also used for carrrying stone. I have seen photos of the U15 in other parts of the USA. U11 and U13 and the other classes, worked mainly in the South East.

The U11 and U13 were rebuilt from common styles of offset hopper to make them more useful for carrying phosphate rock, which is very dense. the U8 and U12 were specially built for phosphate traffic. Though they worked to some other parts of the United States, it was less common. They were owned by the ACL, and the SAL owned very similar ones. Private owners like SHPX owned a few, as did the Wabash Railroad. I have not been able to find other owners.

Phosphate traffic was big business for the Atlantic Coast Line, their competitor the Seaboard Air Line and the SCL which was formed when they merged together. Today, they are all merged into CSX.

The 2 bay and triple hoppers are more common. Because of his skill in designing the phosphate hoppers, I suggested to the owner of Bone Valley that he make some hoppers which might be more useful to TT modellers who did not model the Florida region. The idea has been to make hoppers able to be used as models for some very common types. These were owned by RRs all over America. These would be the best models to buy if you do not model ACL, SAL, SCL, Seaboard System or CSX. Almost every railroad in America owned 2 bay hoppers, either 8 panel or 6 panel, and many, many railroads owned the triple hoppers.

If you want to know who owned them, check these links.

http://www.atlastrainman.com/hofreight/ ... hopper.htm

http://www.bluford-shops.com/bluford_1025_017.htm

i should say that you should check the dimensions of the wagons you want to model as there are differences between the 3 bay 9 panel hopppers in particular. some were 40'8 long and others were up to 42'8". the idea is to make something 'close enough' for a lot of things, remembering there are NO hoppers at all like these in TT at the moment.
scaro

Postby Taxari » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 am

My second one with Decals:
CIMG8718.JPG

CIMG8733.JPG
Taxari

Next

Return to TT Scale Models