Blue/Pink Foam source in Northern/Central California

Blue/Pink Foam source in Northern/Central California

Postby sacto-tt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:19 am

I have been unable to find a convenient source for blue/pink foam in the Sacramento area. :wall: :wall:
I know Rich Brennan is using it for his modules and there are a few other TTers in California.

Anyone have a source? Rich?
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Re: Blue/Pink Foam source in Northern/Central California

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:34 am

I will ask my sister as she lives between Sacramento and San Fransisco, and she does some craft work with foam, to see where she gets hers at.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:42 am

What, no Lowes or Home Depot out west or any other home improvement stores?

I did a Google on "home improvement stores in Sacramento". Lot's of home improvement stores to check into.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Richard-B » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Folks...
The issue is that blue/pink foam is NOT a part of the 'normal' building materials stock here in NorCal... the weather is just too mild to make it a requirement.

Almost all residential construction is wood-frame style... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framing_(construction)#Platform_framing, with fiberglass insulation batts between the studs.

That said... some home improvement, plaster or roofing supply businesses DO carry it... Check around. My 1-1/2in blue foam came from a roofing supply company, the 3/4in pink from a home improvement store.

SNOW ??? We don' have no stinkin' SNOW... (We drive to it with skis on the car roof!)
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:01 pm

Richard-B wrote:SNOW ??? We don' have no stinkin' SNOW... (We drive to it with skis on the car roof!)

I used to have skis with a motor on it, I think they called them snowmobiles. Had air-conditioning to but no heater. :shock: :o

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Richard-B » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Bernd wrote:<snip> I used to have skis with a motor on it, I think they called them snowmobiles.
Out here we call them ski boats!

In February, on I-80 eastbound towards the Sierras... the cars with snow skis on the roof are in the fast lane passing the SUVs towing boats with water-skis stowed on-board. The water-ski lakes are an hour below the ski resorts.

Of course (mandatory on-topic content) we spend most of the trip discussing using blue foam to make TT-scale models of the SP (now UP) mainline that parallels I-80 all the way to Nevada!!!!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:20 pm

The sad part of this is that since all the Home Depots and Lowes stores up here are part and parcel of big California chains, they also stock the same amount of closed cell foam insulation.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Marquette » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:50 pm

If I may offtopic a bit and address the lack of snow in California...

On a family road-trip one time we headed east from northern California, and there was a fair dumping of snow up at the pass, enough that there was a roadblock stopping every car, cops talking to the drivers, some cars turning back, others pulling aside to chain up. Got to us, the cop pointed at our British Columbia licence plate, gave a thumbs up and waved us through. :D
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby sacto-tt » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:02 am

Believe me, I checked all the normal suspects - Lowes, Home Depot, OSH, etc.

Thanks for the ideas Rich, I'll check out some more commercial oriented places this weekend. I did find pink foam up in southern Oregon, but that seems like a bit of a haul just for some foam...
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:45 am

"Of course (mandatory on-topic content) we spend most of the trip discussing using blue foam to make TT-scale models of the SP (now UP) mainline that parallels I-80 all the way to Nevada!!!!"

Yeah, I recall many days "skiing" at Sugar bowl or Soda Springs where I spent most of the time watching the SP trains or snow plows at work.

The Home Depot here in Santa Cruz has foam sheets in various thicknesses, it's not pink or blue but I cover it and paint it anyway so I've never cared....DaveB
ctxmf74

Next

Return to General Discussion