big rugged trains

big rugged trains

Postby jmass » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:09 pm

ever wonder the reason a manufacturer of large scale trains would come out with the big rugged trains in tt scale? was it to insult all the folks who model in tt scale by saying, look were going to release a couple of locomotives in 1/120 scale,but they dont have moters, and thiers no frieght cars to go along with them. a collecters item you see. meanwhile the cover shows some kids playin with them like thier airplanes.makes me want to write them and tell them what for! oh well.
jmass

Re: big rugged trains

Postby member13 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:32 pm

I'm guessing they wanted something generic to sell to kids and didn't want to 'ruin' one of their 'real' lines of trains. So.......there's TT! Ah well, at least us TTers have SOMETHING of a US loco selection.
member13

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:56 am

Just came across the following on Lionel's own site:

"TT Scale
Model railroad scale in the proportion of 1:120. Early competitor to HO scale and still being manufactured in limited numbers, but no longer considered a major force in scale model railroading. "

http://www.lionel.com/GettingStarted/Guides/s-z.html
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:43 am

I think part of it is the ease of scaling (1:120), and the fact that one can put a lot of detail and not take up a lot of space.

I have a J-Class 4-8-4 and it looks pretty darn good, just will be a pain to motorize.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby jmass » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:36 pm

am thinking of of taking two gp9s i have and cutting both back ends and reconecting so i have four exhaust fans making in the process a sortoff sd9. dont know how im gonna create the dynamic brake system but i have an ho union pacific sd9 i can use for reference.
jmass

Return to General Discussion