Big Boy

Re: Big Boy

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:48 am

I for one can live with that drive setup.

It looks like I need to start saving for the kit version (I love kits!)...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Any inkling as to what roadnumber the model will be?

I would prefer 4014, as that is the one that Union Pacific is restoring to service.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby MacG » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:19 pm

He does not want to build each details, which were specifically at only one road number.
I have suggest, that he build no number twice. The customer can choose the road number (Status Fair at Marienberg). He calculates with a series of ten pieces.

I think, the minimum radius was greater than 400mm (~16"). Perhaps 450mm (~18"). :think:
MacG

Postby jpachl » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:39 am

Nice project, but there won't be many people willing to pay 2000€ for a loco. Unless the price drops significantly below 1000€, there will hardly be any sales.

Joern
jpachl

Postby MacG » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:18 pm

He means, his order list is nearly full.
MacG

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:57 pm

You have to admire him for attempting this project.

Do I want one - yes.
Would I buy one - no.
For that amount of money I can buy all the SW1200s I would ever need
or go to the Indianapolis show next year.

Been a long time since I had that kind of money available for anything.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConnRiver » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:49 pm

richardedmonds wrote:very interested rob I would prefer a Y6B but beggars can't be choosers

Richard, IIRC, there have been discussions (arguments?) about which U.S. steam loco was the "biggest." Guess it depends upon criteria, some locos dominate in some criteria, other locos in other criteria. But, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Y6B almost win the consensus of biggest/most powerful?

What was Great Britain's largest steamer? My impression (most likely wrong) is that your railroads ran more trains of lesser tonnage than did we in the States. In Britain, more people per square mile requiring timely service? Did your nation move coal in long drags? Maybe you didn't need Y6B-type behomoths, since you don't have obstacles with grades like the Appalachian mountains? Or, do you?

I think these questions spring from posts I read here earlier this evening. Europe and Great Britain do such a great job of maximizing the capabilities of wheel on rail while we in the states, at least today considering moving people from metropolitan areas within 200-400 miles of one another, do one crappy job.

(Oh, I think it was a thread subject of yours, something about visiting Switzerland. And my thought was, that's a short distance but I'll bet you guys do it far more efficiently than do we over like distances.)

Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Arseny » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:23 am

ConnRiver wrote:Richard, IIRC, there have been discussions (arguments?) about which U.S. steam loco was the "biggest." Guess it depends upon criteria, some locos dominate in some criteria, other locos in other criteria. But, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Y6B almost win the consensus of biggest/most powerful?

What about Virginian's "Triplex" 2-8-8-8-4 ? (Or Erie's 2-8-8-8-2) ?
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/triplex/?page=vgn

But it was not too successful...
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Jesus Christ...that thing is ridiculous.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:04 am

Hi Brian
You are pretty much correct in your thoughts, there is was nothing remotely comparable to the massive American loco's here in the UK. Maybe some older Garrats or the later 9F 2-10-0 would probably be the biggest over here. But it is really as you say, we used to have a massive network of railways spreading to every corner which used tiny loco's hauling short loads short distances through basically small towns.
Priority in the UK was always passenger services and they seemed to prefer 4-6-0 or 4-6-2 locomotives.
My interest in American prototype came from seeing Norfolk and Western photo's in a magazine fifty odd years ago, to a young kid familiar to small british steam loco's the Y6B was awe inspiring and still is
richardedmonds

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models