Bettendorf trucks for Hopper Car

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

Bettendorf trucks for Hopper Car

Postby dwyaneward » Thu May 05, 2016 9:24 am

I have purchase a couple of 2 bay 8 panel hopper car from this shapeways store

https://www.shapeways.com/product/29NB7 ... d=59706661

but I need some Bettendorf trucks for them and not finding a source. I am give a try at 3D printing my own

Photo of current design progress

Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Re: Bettendorf trucks for Hopper Car

Postby Bernd » Thu May 05, 2016 10:19 am

Your 3D print would fit nice with a plastic injection machine. To expand on this idea one could get into brass castings. I've had the idea of using aluminum for casting. With todays glues aluminum would work great. Why aluminum? I played around several years ago with homebrew aluminum furnace to melt aluminum. One could make casting plaster molds and spin cast aluminum parts.

Just throwing this out there as food for thought.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby modorney » Thu May 05, 2016 11:37 am

> I need some Bettendorf trucks for them and not finding a source. I am give a try at 3D printing my own

Looks great - I'll take a dozen.

Will they work with Tillig wheelsets?

I think there is some trick to shapeways pricing - putting multiple parts on a sprue makes the overall cost cheaper - "one" part is really 4 or 6 trucks. Other shapeways experts know more than me.
modorney

Re: Bettendorf trucks for Hopper Cars

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:56 pm

" I need some Bettendorf trucks for them and not finding a source."

I've used Gold Coast, Possum Valley ,and old HP brass trucks on various models and they all work well. Gold Coast and Possum Valley might not be available now but old HP trucks can be found on ebay occasionally, the nice thing about them is the wheels have more scale size flanges than Tillig and the brass construction is very rugged and trouble free. I recall TTnut offered roller bearing trucks on Shapeways site but I don't know if he made Bettendorfs? .....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby dwyaneward » Thu May 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Modorney,

Have not gotten to seeing which wheel set will work yet, Still working on the sideframe details. I am drawing this up at actual size. Then I will scale down to TT and see what adjustment I need to make for wheel set and printing.

Correct on the shapeway pricing some material are better spruce for lower cost. There Is a new Hi-Def Acrylic and PLA materials coming soon for public release it multiply by current model pricing that are not spruce by 12 times due to the material per part cost, so I have been sprucing those parts to get cost back down.
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby areibel » Thu May 05, 2016 4:26 pm

Bernd wrote:Your 3D print would fit nice with a plastic injection machine. To expand on this idea one could get into brass castings. I've had the idea of using aluminum for casting. With todays glues aluminum would work great. Why aluminum? I played around several years ago with homebrew aluminum furnace to melt aluminum. One could make casting plaster molds and spin cast aluminum parts.

One other thing I've heard of is a metal filled resin or epoxy that can be used to make small injection molds- Larry Sayre sent me some info on it years \ago, I'll have to see if I can find it. That might be another option instead of cutting a mold?
areibel

Postby Bernd » Thu May 05, 2016 4:51 pm

areibel wrote:One other thing I've heard of is a metal filled resin or epoxy that can be used to make small injection molds- Larry Sayre sent me some info on it years \ago, I'll have to see if I can find it. That might be another option instead of cutting a mold?

I looked for the posts I exchanged with Rob but unfortunately they aren't there anymore. I did run across what you mention above. The epoxy molds are good for low production runs. I'm going have to scour my favorites and see if I an find that website again.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby TiTan downunder » Fri May 06, 2016 1:01 am

Could I ask why you didn't just get some of the MTB 70 ton plain bearing trucks from Rob Dikken or TT-west?

These are quite good. I have been using the ModMueller NMRA wheelsets in the 100ton trucks and they roll very well.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby Richard-B » Sat May 07, 2016 12:46 am

TiTan downunder wrote:Could I ask why you didn't just get some of the MTB 70 ton plain bearing trucks from Rob Dikken or TT-west?
AFAIK... MTB has not released these in production quantities yet.
I've only seen one pair.

Richard
http://www.tt-west.com
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Re: Bettendorf trucks for Hopper Cars

Postby Richard-B » Mon May 09, 2016 12:49 am

ctxmf74 wrote:<snip> Gold Coast {...} might not be available
Why not...?
Lok-n-Roll has the GCR Bettendorf molds... and I believe they are using them to mold their own trucks for their latest cars. (e.g. the colorful ones...)
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Next

Return to TT Scale Models