Bettendorf trucks for Hopper Car

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

Re: Bettendorf trucks for Hopper Car

Postby Bernd » Tue May 10, 2016 9:03 am

Richard-B wrote:
areibel wrote:And that Reboxx tool, can it be narrowed enough for TT? I haven't ever seen one, but I wondered if it's one piece or if it comes apart and could be narrowed?
Oh..
I used it on trucks that come apart... You would need to twist the solid ones considerably to make it work...

Looks like another project needs to be added to my list of tooling. Mmmmm.............

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Tue May 10, 2016 11:58 am

LOL! You're going to quit hanging around here, it just keeps making more work for you!

Like I said, I've never held one of the Reboxx tools in my hand. I wasn't sure if it was a single piece or it it would thread in or out of the center section so you could crank it in to get inside a one piece truck (like most of the TT ones!). Even a half reamer that would do one side at a time would be a help, the pockets are pretty well marked so you should be able to keep the axles parallel.
areibel

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:44 pm

"Even a half reamer that would do one side at a time would be a help, the pockets are pretty well marked so you should be able to keep the axles parallel."

It might be possible to saw a ReBoxx reamer in half for use in TT scale trucks. They have a plastic center piece but the metal might run all the way across inside the plastic. ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Bernd » Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 pm

areibel wrote:LOL! You're going to quit hanging around here, it just keeps making more work for you!

Like I said, I've never held one of the Reboxx tools in my hand. I wasn't sure if it was a single piece or it it would thread in or out of the center section so you could crank it in to get inside a one piece truck (like most of the TT ones!). Even a half reamer that would do one side at a time would be a help, the pockets are pretty well marked so you should be able to keep the axles parallel.

Sorry you guys have me for life unless Alex decides to cut my head off. :shock: :wink: :lol:

I'm dedicating my life to getting TT scale back into the main stream of modeling. :crazy: :lol:

It's something I can set up and make with very little effort. I'm wondering if tool steel would be best to use. Also you mentioned one that can be adjusted. You got my mind spinning here. Lets see what I can come up with.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue May 10, 2016 3:36 pm

areibel wrote:I wasn't sure if it was a single piece or it it would thread in or out of the center section so you could crank it in to get inside a one piece truck (like most of the TT ones!).

After I posted I reread your comment. If the truck is one piece how would you get the axle inserted?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:54 pm

"If the truck is one piece how would you get the axle inserted?"

I think that refers to plastic one piece trucks where there is enough flex in the side frames to install the wheel sets. Metal trucks must either twist enough or be able to dis-assemble to add the wheel sets ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby areibel » Tue May 10, 2016 5:55 pm

The Shapeways trucks are flexible enough to spread so you can pop the axles in with little effort. The only tricky ones are the brass ones in the kits supplied by Ingo- you need to bend them very slightly then squeeze them back together to hold the axles firm. The first one is tricky, but it's not bad when you quit worrying about it!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 11, 2016 6:30 pm

Bernd wrote:Sorry you guys have me for life unless Alex decides to cut my head off. :shock: :wink: :lol:

As I tell my team at work, your punishment is NOT being fired :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Wed May 11, 2016 7:56 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
Bernd wrote:Sorry you guys have me for life unless Alex decides to cut my head off. :shock: :wink: :lol:

As I tell my team at work, your punishment is NOT being fired :lol:

:doh: :thumbup:
Bernd

Postby oldtrainguy » Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Hope this isn't too much off topic.

I will be getting a small 3D printer in the next month or so.

I'm not so great at putting together detailed drawings to be used for the printer so was wondering where you could find accurate drawings to use for the printer. I have Sketchup and have played with it a bit. I think making TT scale trucks would be just the right size for the printer I'm getting.
Don
oldtrainguy

PreviousNext

Return to TT Scale Models