Berliner Bahnen double decker passenger cars

Berliner Bahnen double decker passenger cars

Postby member13 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:36 am

Hey guys I have 4 double deck passenger wagons which seem to not roll very well. It looks like the pin that connects the separate wagons pushes down against the wheel axles and causes too much friction. Will new wheels help reduce the rolling friction or does something need to be done with pin? Or are there other reasons? Have any of you experienced this? I would like to have 6 total of these cars together but there is so much rolling resistance I'm not sure a locomotive will be able to pull them properly.
member13

Re: Berliner Bahnen double decker passenger cars

Postby BTTB Fan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:52 pm

I had the same problem, and what seemed to help was taking the wheels out and bending the metal brackets that hold the wheels in by a couple of millimeters. Then, when the wheels are installed, the axles ride in the proper position, rather than "sinking" and pushing against the connector pin.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby member13 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Hmmm, I remember the connecting pin being quite a ways down into the area of the axle. Im not sure if a movement of a couple of mm will be enough. I will try your suggestion though. Thanks for the fast response.
member13

Postby 1 tt guy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:51 pm

Actually I have the same issue but the connecting pins are not against the axles. The wheels just turn with a lot of resistance. I'll try putting a drop of oil on all the axle tips and see if that helps.
1 tt guy

Postby 1 tt guy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Follow up: the connecting pins are not against the axles and I oiled the axle points. A bit better but still pretty lousy :( . I don't want to spend the money to buy a new set but the current situation sucks. I know some people take out the middle wheel of the 3 wheel trucks but I don't want to do that. Will buying new wheels from Tillig alleviate this issue? Any ideas?
1 tt guy

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:16 am

Digging this up from the dead with a question. Do any of you have the new Tillig version of these wagons? From what I've read the new version tends to have the same issues with rolling resistance after a while. It also seems that the only change Tillig made to the BTTB model is the way the bogies connect to the chassis so then ends of the wagon base don't swivel around. I want to modify this area on an old BTTB set but I'm not sure how to deal with the rolling resistance issue.

On a side note, does anyone know what locos where normally attached to the CSD version of the wagon?
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:05 am

Somewhere in storage (unless it was one of the lost boxes - there were several such) I had a two-car set, BTTB, that I'd painted up in the red-yellow-blue colours CFR (Romania) used on these cars. If ever I find it I'll take some pics. But even if not - that might be an interesting painting project for someone, they were very colourful!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:12 am

ConducTTor wrote:
On a side note, does anyone know what locos where normally attached to the CSD version of the wagon?

Perhaps this works for you...
z_022_001_012.JPG.jpeg

I have also seen them pulled by a T435, but another good choice would be a T478.3 (Goggles) which has been the general all season passenger locomotive in the Czech Republic since the late 60's.
753167a.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:18 am

The T679? :clap:
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:08 pm

An E499.0 or E499.1 would work too.
140004f.jpg
141018a.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models