Sacto-tt's Small Train Room Layout

Sacto-tt's Small Train Room Layout

Postby sacto-tt » Mon May 07, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm thinking of putting a second level in my train room(s) that would be my TT layout. I have a partially built HO layout (please keep the boos to a minimum) in there currently. Unfortunately each of the two rooms has multiple windows that would need to be spanned. Has anyone built benchwork to do this? I spent quite a bit of time with my pal Google and read numerous RR mag articles involving benchwork, but evidently no one else in the world has this problem. :wall:

The windows range in size from 22 inches to 58 inches wide. I would like to keep them operable if at all possible since they provide a nice breeze in the evening and are a great source of light.

Any ideas?
Last edited by sacto-tt on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Re: Benchwork that spans a window (or windows)

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Can you design so the mainline is what goes across the window? If so, it would be a relatively shallow piece that won't obstruct sunlight. Since it will be small you can also open the window without too much trouble. Maybe use a bridge across the window? And you can lift the bridge out whenever you need so there's nothing in front of the window.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:52 am

Perhaps a series of lift bridges could be made to span the gaps.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Sacto-tt's Small Train Room Layout

Postby sacto-tt » Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, they parallel my own thinking. Unfortunately with the HO layout underneath, right at the bottom of the windows, it would be difficult to reach over and lift them out. As for making the windows operational, as long as I don't cover up the locking mechanism I should be OK.

Here is my main area of concern - the windows are 2 feet, 4 feet and 2 feet wide:

IMG_3247.JPG
Three windows back to back to back

There is 58 inch window on another wall of that same room and the other room has one 58 inch wide window. For all the "wall" portions of the upper level I was going to use a cantilever support design similar to the one described in MRH back in issue 3 (I think). The doorways will be spanned with 1x2s between the cantilever supports. I could do something similar for the windows, but it would have to be a lot beefier and would be difficult to get situated correctly. It would also mean that the base of the support would probably have to be a lot lower and might intrude on the lower level. I was hoping to find some examples on line, but no joy so far.
Last edited by sacto-tt on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Hmmmm. The only thing I can think of is to use shelf style brackets between the windows with "pads" on top - like a 1 foot by 4 inch piece. Then add spans across each window that meet at the pad. That way you can remove them individually if you need to. The depth of each shelf/span would be whatever you find appropriate so as to not block too much of the lower layout.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sacto-tt » Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 pm

I see what you mean. I kept trying to come up with a solution that spanned the entire set of windows. This way each one is separate. That makes so much more sense. :doh: I'll check out shelf brackets and see what I can find. Thx
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby sacto-tt » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:51 am

Since it seems that everyone but me has actually started planning/working on their layout, I figured I should do something as well. I changed the name of this topic to reflect that. As noted in an earlier message, I'm lucky enough to have two rooms in which to build my layout. I have cleverly named them the "small train room" and the "big train room". As I mentioned, I'm primarily an HO guy, but TT is just so darn interesting that I had to do something with it. TT Nut and all the members here are a great help (Thanks Boss!). The original plan for the small room had an HO mainline extending through it, but I changed it to be a dual-gauge Tillig HO-HOm mainline so I could extend the TT layout into the big room if I want. Below is the "current" plan.

Small-Train-Room.jpg
Small Train Room Plan

The upper right and lower right tracks pass though the wall to the big room. The gap on the right is where I cut an opening in the wall to allow walking between them. The outside door to the small room is blocked off. The track/road going across the gap on the right is a narrow liftout. The odd shaped area with the industrial runaround is a big liftout that allows access to the closet. The shelf is 14" deep except in the corners (the curved area is 24" radius) and in the two right corners.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:24 am

I like it a LOT. I would make only one change to it - put the mainline in front of the yard.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sacto-tt » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks Boss. I'll wrangle a bit with SCARM and see what I can come up with. Connecting to the HO/TT mainline in the bottom right might be a problem. Hmm, maybe if I split the TT mainline up in the industrial area...
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:11 pm

"I kept trying to come up with a solution that spanned the entire set of windows. "

I spanned some windows in the end of my TT layout room with shelf brackets and narrow 1 by 4 benchwork. I set the back of the span to just clear the window blinds. The span benchwork is about 6 inches wide, enough for one or two tracks and some minimal scenery.I'll put a photo in the gallery...DaveB
ctxmf74

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans