Sacto-tt's Small Train Room Layout

Re: Sacto-tt's Small Train Room Layout

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:40 pm

sacto-tt wrote: I ended up using 2x2s though.

That is very tidy-looking framing. :clap: I'm amazed you could find some 2x2's that were reasonably straight. Around here, that size is the most warped and twisted of all the lumber choices, unless you got some special high-priced grade?

I would be a bit nervous about the rigidity of the long unsupported span across the large window. You could improve the stiffness by boxing in the beam, as it were, screwing plywood to both top and bottom in that region. It wouldn't even have to be the full depth of the shelf, just the full length between supports, so you can still access the insides for wiring etc.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:39 am

gerhard_k wrote:Around here, that size is the most warped and twisted of all the lumber choices....

You must live very close to me LOL.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sacto-tt » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:03 am

Some of the 2x2s did turn into twisted nightmares. I always let them sit in the root for a week or so to see what happens. If they get too warped, I just take them back.

Part way through I discovered that my Lowes has kiln dried redwood planed 2x2s (1 3/8" instead of 1 1/2") and they are very nice. Not too expensive luckily. Most of the cross pieces and a bit of the framing are made from those. The rest of my benchwork will be made using those. They also smell nice.

I will be keeping an eye on the window span to see if it stays level. Good idea about the boxing, thanks.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby sacto-tt » Sun May 21, 2017 4:01 pm

<and a year slips on by...> I haven't been totally idle, but all the non-railroading stuff has definitely slowed progress.

I took a close look at relocating the TT mainline, but could find no real way to move it to the front of the yard area. Doing so would require having the mainline split through the middle of the maintenance/storage facilities which would make operations kind of a mess. I did add a couple of extra sidings.

I laid out and cut all the plywood and started on the wiring. To help isolate the mainline, I decided to put the yard/maintenance area into a separate DCC district with its own bus. The taps for the Dual Gauge main are all done and the TT taps are in the planning phase.

Most significantly, I broke open the wallet and ordered all the remaining track items. Looks like Ramen for lunch this month! :lol:
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 22, 2017 3:41 pm

:lol:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sacto-tt » Sat May 27, 2017 3:22 pm

My layout has arrived...

20170527_115631.jpg

Now all I have to do is put it together!

BTW - Kudos to the team at modellbahn-shop lippe. Five days from order to delivery in California. That is some amazing service.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 28, 2017 12:00 am

Lippe is pretty good. Never got 5 days but they're relatively quick. And your layout looks great so far!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans