Sacto-tt's Small Train Room Layout

Re: Sacto-tt's Small Train Room Layout

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:41 am

Looking at your plan again, moving the HO/TT mainline to the front creates a lot of issues. But if you can at least move the TT mainline in front of the yard I think that would be an improvement.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sacto-tt » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:17 am

ctxmf74 wrote:"I kept trying to come up with a solution that spanned the entire set of windows. "

I spanned some windows in the end of my TT layout room with shelf brackets and narrow 1 by 4 benchwork. I set the back of the span to just clear the window blinds. The span benchwork is about 6 inches wide, enough for one or two tracks and some minimal scenery.I'll put a photo in the gallery...DaveB

Dave, it appears that we pretty much came up with the same solution. I ended up using 2x2s though.
Here is what my framing looks like:

Small-Frame1.jpg

Small-Frame2.jpg

Small-Frame3.jpg

Small-Frame4.jpg

Small-Frame5.jpg
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby sacto-tt » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:20 am

Small-Frame6.jpg

Small-Frame7.jpg

Here's the liftout removed and the door open.

Small-FrameDoor.jpg
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 pm

"Here's the liftout removed and the door open."

I've got one of those too. I'm designing the layout to work as a point to point switching layout without the lift out section, then I can install it when I want to run around the loop.
Your bench works looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress to operating tracks. .....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby sacto-tt » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 pm

What to do with the closet door was a tough decision. Originally I was going to remove it and have the upper level just span the opening. The lower level would have a gate or something that allowed access to the closet. I also thought about cutting it into two pieces with the upper screwed shut and the bottom able to open, but I decided more destruction was not the answer. Ultimately I left it alone. The other door in the room (the old entrance) is screwed shut with the knob removed. Easy enough to do when you decide to cut a big hole in the wall. :lol:

I finally got the last of my wire today so I've been messing around with it trying to decide how to install it. Since the HO/TT and TT mainlines are going to be in different DCC districts, I have two busses to route around the room. I've decided to use completely different colors to avoid any mix-ups. Black/Red for HO/TT and Green/Yellow for TT. The busses with be 14awg, the taps will be 18awg and the feeders 22awg. <Insert heated wire size argument here.> The taps and feeders will be connected to terminal strips to allow easy troubleshooting and disconnection if needed. Last time the feeders tapped directly off the buss and it was a big headache to change the track plan.

The next task is to cut all the plywood that the foam will sit on. Oh, and get the foam...
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:47 am

"Since the HO/TT and TT mainlines are going to be in different DCC districts"

How do you plan to add TT scale scenery where the HO tracks are running thru? That's going to look like some kind of wide gauge railroad? ( about 6.5 feet gauge in TT scale if I calc'd it right) .......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:28 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"Since the HO/TT and TT mainlines are going to be in different DCC districts"

How do you plan to add TT scale scenery where the HO tracks are running thru? That's going to look like some kind of wide gauge railroad? ( about 6.5 feet gauge in TT scale if I calc'd it right) .......DaveB

I would suggest vegetation only then it would work for both. Grass, trees, etc. have no scale :smile:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:42 pm

"I would suggest vegetation only then it would work for both. Grass, trees, etc. have no scale"

From a perspective point of view it would probably work better if the larger scale was in front and the smaller scale in the rear?......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby sacto-tt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:35 pm

This is supposed to be my TT layout which is why there are no sidings or buildings on the HO/TT line. Basically that is there just to increase the length of the mainline and to allow the TT layout to extend into the HO world. The way it is designed, the TT just appears to be narrow gauge. Of course seeing an HO train go by would be strange looking.

I could just decide it exists in Gulliver's world so both sizes are correct. One never knows.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby sacto-tt » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:54 pm

Blue Foam Sighted!!!

Finally got a chance to drop by the Insulation place and pick up some foam. They only had 2'x8' sheets, but I can make that work.
Now all I need to do is finish up the plywood base, the buss wiring, the track plan, buy the rest of the track and install everything, do all that wiring, etc. Easy-Peasy
-Joe-
sacto-tt

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans