Belcher Oil tankcar / Joma

Belcher Oil tankcar / Joma

Postby j p » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:34 pm

I was thinking of making one of the Joma tankcars as a Belcher Oil 10000 gallons tankcar.
Unfortunately, I cannot find any good pictures of the complete lettering.
My own picture from last year is missing lettering near the right end of the car + ends. The lettering was no completed at that time.
belcher.jpg
j p

Re: Belcher Oil tankcar / Joma

Postby railtwister » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:51 pm

I didn't realize the GCRR Museum would ever actually restore the Belcher tank car (they had two, #105 and #121), but I'm glad they did. Do you know if they are also redoing #121?

This is really kind of amusing, because it looks like the tank body is painted white. If so, the museum is making the same mistake that MicroTrains and Intermountain did when they ran models of this car in N and HO scales several years ago. Althoughin photos the color of the cars can appear to be white, the original cars were both painted a beige or light tan, plus the lettering was red outlined with black. I know because I sent photos and sketches to Microtrains when they did the N scale model years ago, and they overlooked my notation about the beige color and made the car white instead. I called them after they sent me a complimentary car as a "Thank you", and they acknowledged the error, but by then it was too late! I kept hoping they'd correct it and do the other car number later, but so far, they haven't. After the N scale car was released, Intermountain did one in HO, and they must have copied the M-T model, because it was also painted white. I still have some of those materials, sketches mostly. I'm not sure what happened to the photos, they may be here somewhere, but I rather doubt, after all these years. I wonder, if the museum has now painted it white, does that make the models correct, even though in service the real car was beige?

If I can figure out how to do it, I'll try to make scans of what I have and post them to this thread. Is it your plan to make up professional artwork and decals if you can get the info?

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby j p » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 pm

I can see the remaining beige color on this photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirenchu/3609654822/sizes/m/in/photostream/
But most of the lettering is not readable. I don't know anything about their plans. The weather was very bad when we were there and they were busy making some scary Haloween decoration + then they had a club meeting. I didn't have a chance to talk to them. My little train-expert loved the museum.

I can make the artwork in Adobe Photoshop or Corel Draw.
My plan is to try decals too at some point. I can use serigraphy (silk screen print) or pad (tampon) print. The silk screen requires some more decals to be made because I would have to order the stencil(s) for it. If it is supposed to be with the black outline, it would require high precision of alignment of the silkscreen frames.
I wanted to use pad printing directly on the models - but that would work only for relatively flat areas.
Perhaps, I can try to pad print on a decal paper...?
This will not happen soon. I want to try resin casting first.

If the museum painted the car after the models, it makes the models correct only for use in the museum's train. Many European manufacturers are lazy to search for old photos and make their models of old cars in museums' paint schemes, including the errors made by the museums and including museums' logos. The paint scheme is then correct for the museum. The marketing department does not find it very interesting to sell such models under the correct name and therefore they sell it as if it was the original railway. Tillig made this mistake several times, in one case they were selling a tankcar as a different railroad than what was acually written on it :doh:
j p

Postby railtwister » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi jp,

Here's the sketch and notes on the Belcher tanks cars I made during a visit to the GCRR museum in 1995. The degree of deterioration from the weather was bad at that time, but nothing like the photo you referenced. In most cases, wiping the fades paint with a wet rag made it legible enough to make out what it said. If you have decals made, let me know, I'd like to get a set, too.

It looks like my attempts to post the material didn't work, send me your email and I'll send the info to you directly.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Michael Smith » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:48 am

Bill, please email me at Mike@livesteamers.org. I am looking for any information on the Belcher tank cars. I hope to do one in G scale and a friend wants to do one in 7-1/2" gauge.

Michael Smith
Vice President
Tradewinds & Atlantic Railroad
Coconut Creek, FL
Michael Smith

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Bill, if you want, email me the material and I'll post it so it's available to everyone. Welcome to the board Michael!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Michael Smith wrote:Bill, please email me at Mike@livesteamers.org. I am looking for any information on the Belcher tank cars. I hope to do one in G scale and a friend wants to do one in 7-1/2" gauge.

Michael Smith
Vice President
Coconut Creek, FL

So am I to take it that we now have another member that deals with ride on sized trains?

We have been considering making a functional tanker for our 8.75" gauge train, so that we can run relatively large amounts of water from the house (or pump shed or the valve shed) to the chicken pens and goat pens by means of our trains. A more realistic tanker would be nice to build, so specs are welcome.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby j p » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Michael Smith wrote:Bill, please email me at Mike@livesteamers.org. I am looking for any information on the Belcher tank cars. I hope to do one in G scale and a friend wants to do one in 7-1/2" gauge.

Michael Smith
Vice President
Coconut Creek, FL

Are you in a hurry for it?
Decals for this car are on my list. The artwork will be in vector format, so you'll be able to use it for large scale too.
I just cannot promise when.
j p

Postby Michael Smith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:40 am

I have the information on all the text etc from Bill. Little did I know he is actually one of the guys from the Aventura Station and I see him a few times a week at the layout there.

Oh and as per someone that was at Gold Coast in the 80s when they were at Ft Lauderdale and is also a FEC engineer. The cars were originally a very pale tan color, not white at all. They sat in Port Everglades until picked up by GC and taken to Metro Zoo location where they are now and painted the wrong color (white)

Michael Smith
Vice President
Coconut Creek, FL
Michael Smith

Return to Prototypes / Models