Bedford & Eastport Railroad up for Abandonment

Bedford & Eastport Railroad up for Abandonment

Postby Islanderh93 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Hello all,

My name is Harrison, and I was on this server a few years back. Sadly, my elderly mentor Mr. Ed Hermanns of Wantagh passed away back in March. His family, though appreciative of his railroading hobby over the last 80 years has found that they have little use for his railroad he left behind at the house he was in the process of selling.

The railroad sits today, collecting dust in the basement of his former home, with new owners who are fascinated by the layout. Though they find it to be a curious relic of the previous owner, they told me they don't have the means to take care of it as Ed had intended, and could really use the space for something else.

On behalf of the new owners, I've been asked to spread the word about this TT gauge empire and try to find it a good home. It was built semi-modularly in-place, with only the slight intention of ever moving it as the project advanced. It will require cutting and re-assembly once removed, but it is a full working empire as it is.

The line models the character of the typical eastern coal hauler, running between two fictional towns of Bedford in the Pennsylvania coalfields, and Eastport on the shore of a busy harbor with a carfloat connection. It's got its own modestly sized railroad shops, a trolley line in progress that circles the city, and a branchline into the coalfields. Though it supposedly connects with the Lehigh Valley at Bedford, the line is just a freelance of the 1930's merely capturing the charm of an era and several railroads gone by.

For images of the railroad, check out this video I made back when Ed was still working on the line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G-6Mnwigmk

You can also search for "Bedford and Eastport" online and on this site, which will bring up results of all dozen photos of the pike. I hope that someone is interested in this beautiful railroad, and would have the means to take it out to their home.

PLease contact me here on the forum if you are interested.
Islanderh93

Re: Bedford & Eastport Railroad up for Abandonment

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:32 pm

About how big is it?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:13 am

You may also want to tell people where it's located.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:20 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:About how big is it?

ConducTTor wrote:You may also want to tell people where it's located.

Google found this:
http://www.ttscale.com/layouts/eh/Bedford_and_Eastport_RR.html
Bedford and Eastport RR

These next two photos are of Ed Hermanns TT Bedford and Eastport RR layout in Wantagh, NY.
Its'existence is justified by a car float and a physical connection to a connecting RRnamed the Lehigh Valley
(as they were the only decals on hand).
The layout is dogbone shape, 24 ft long x 2ft8in wide overall with 6ft x 6ft loop provisions at each end.
The layout was started about 1984 when a previous HO layout was dismanntled. It was rewired for Dynatrol command control in 1989 and completion was about 1992, if a layouy is ever complete!
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Arseny » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:05 am

Islanderh93, I remember your post two years ago.
This layout is awesome of course!
I wish I have some money to freight the "Mriya" airplane and move it to my house... hmm... and to get a new house too... :smile:

Hope it will get a new good owner.

Rest in peace Mr. Ed Hermanns, your work was excellent... :cry:
Arseny

Postby Richard-B » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:49 pm

24 ft long x 2ft8in wide overall with 6ft x 6ft loop provisions at each end

This means that to move the layout en-bloc... it would have to sectioned into at least 3 parts (minus the loops) to fit in the back of a standard truck (~8ft bed).

Without some willing volunteer from the East Coast, I suspect the layout itself may not be recoverable... but a careful extraction of the structures and mini-scenes could spread around some of Mr. Hermanns' work (i.e. via ebay).
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby areibel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Arseny wrote:I wish I have some money to freight the "Mriya" airplane and move it to my house... hmm... and to get a new house too... :smile:

I know just how to handle this- Arseny, sell your house, buy the airplane and build an apartment inside. Fly it over, pick up the layout and mount it permanently in the airplane. Then all you need to do is buy a piece of property near an airport to park your new home! Your son would have the coolest house of all his friends!

Seriously, it looks like a beautiful layout But I'm afraid Richard is correct. I think it would be nearly impossible to find someone to buy it as a complete unit. Too bad there wasn't a model RR club or a museum that would accept it as a donation and could display it and run some trains on it.
areibel

Postby Richard-B » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 pm

areibel wrote:
Arseny wrote:I wish I have some money to freight the "Mriya" airplane and move it to my house... hmm... and to get a new house too... :smile:

I know just how to handle this- Arseny, sell your house, buy the airplane and build an apartment inside.

Here ya go: Great Idea!!!
k-bigpic.jpg
Aircraft House - Costa Rica

http://io9.com/awe-inspiring-homes-and-buildings-made-out-of-old-airpl-453710875
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Islanderh93 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm

It is built in at least 5 sections, so it could be moved. It's in Wantagh NY east of New York City, and the hardest part will be getting it up the stairs of the basement. It's a clean-shot up the stairs and out of the basement, but it's not a particularly big gap to fit through.

If worst comes to worst, it can be parted out, but I'd rather not.
Islanderh93

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:41 pm

We have been mulling the option of traveling to get the layout or not, but the problem is that we do not have the space to fully set it up in the house we are now renting, it would be possible to add sections to make it curve around the living room.

If this was during July 2005 - July 2010, when my husband was stationed at Groton, CT, we would have jumped at the possibility as that was a relatively short run from the house, and the back room would have fit the layout with some work.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Next

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade