Beckmann BR38 /BR230-976

Beckmann BR38 /BR230-976

Postby dileTTante » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:55 pm

Work fast, my friend. It is a limited edition. I think orders end on March 31st.

CSD's warning was like a triple shot espresso. I was waiting for a little more money in hand before ordering the locomotive but definitely did not want to miss the chance to get one. Modellbahnwelt's web site listed the BR230 as immediately available, where only last week it was listed as available on order. I bought one. After my purchase, the locomotive is still listed as immediately available. So I guess CSD must get a commission from Modellbahnwelt for products sold.

Here is information from Beckmann's web page with Google translation--
Einige der als Reparationsleistung an Frankreich gelieferten BR 38 kamen 1941/42 zurück zur DRG. Unter anderem die 230-976. Dieses Fahrzeug wurde beim Bw Chemnitz stationiert. Im Laufe des Betriebseinsatzes wurden diverse Änderungen an der Lok durchgeführt. So z.B. wurde am 5.11.41 die Turbo-Beleuchtung angebaut. Aus der 230-976 wurde später die 38 353. Am 20.2.71 wurde die Lok endgültig verschrottet.

Some the BR 38 supplied as reparation at France came 1941/42 back to the DRG. Among other things the 230-976. This vehicle was stationed with the German Federal Armed Forces Chemnitz. In the course of the operating employment various changes at the locomotive were accomplished. To 5.11.41 the turbo-lighting was so e.g. cultivated. From the 230-976 the 38,353 became later. To 20.2.71 the locomotive was finally scrapped.

So this particular locomotive was brought back from France and the model represents its appearance during war time. The model is also available with the usual red paint trimmings with and without smoke deflectors.
Attachments
BR38_franz_1.jpg
dileTTante

Re: Beckmann BR38 /BR230-976

Postby CSD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 pm

dileTTante wrote:...So I guess CSD must get a commission from Modellbahnwelt for products sold...

That would be nice. I'll phone them.

Very exciting for you. I have been curious about Beckmann products for some time, but have been waiting on that BR 75. The 230 is the best looking version of this model in my opinion. You're probably going to be the only guy in North America with one of these. Well played.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby The Fish » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:04 pm

G'day,
I have just ordered Beckmann 1018303 Dampflok BR 38 262 der DRG, Ep.IIb, from Modellbahnwelt. It should arrive in about 2 weeks. I anxiously await the delivery
The Fish

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 pm

Man, you guys are all over this thing. I hope you love it!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby anotherTTnut » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:03 am

dileTTante wrote:
Some the BR 38 supplied as reparation at France came 1941/42 back to the DRG. Among other things the 230-976. This vehicle was stationed with the German Federal Armed Forces Chemnitz. In the course of the operating employment various changes at the locomotive were accomplished. To 5.11.41 the turbo-lighting was so e.g. cultivated. From the 230-976 the 38,353 became later. To 20.2.71 the locomotive was finally scrapped.

Here is a more correct translation of the german original text. A couple things got lost in translation.......

Some of the BR 38 that were supplied as reparations to France came back to the DRG in 1941/42. One of them was 230-976. This locomotive was stationed at the Railway station Chemnitz. In the years of operation various changes on the locomotive were performed. For example, on November 5, 1941 the turbo-lighting was installed The 230-976 became later the 38 353. On February 20, 1971 the locomotive was finally scrapped.
anotherTTnut

Postby dileTTante » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:40 am

This model seems very good. I have no reason to regret the expense. The only things I have for comparison are the three BTTB and Tillig locomotives which I bought around 1992. Until I met Marquette and CSD last year at the train show I had seen no other TT models, so I don't know how to judge the quality. The detail on the locomotive looks excellent. A small packet includes an old style coupler and small parts to be attached by the owner. There are brake hoses and a couple other bits which are a mystery. I'll have to research to find out where they belong. There are two sprues with parts, so I guess one group are spares. Beckmann's web page has photos of the locomotive but in the photos the detail parts are missing. Interestingly, on the inside of the body of the tender is scratched in the mold the French word 'ETAT'.

I don't have DCC yet; I ran the loco with an old pulse power pack. It ran nicely but motor is noisy, at least for now. Headlights turned on when going forward, tender lights when reversed. There are small yellow dots on the locomotive which could be marker lights, otherwise I don't know what they are. However they don't light up. The small instruction sheet is all in German and some of it is the general commentary translated in earlier posts. Servicing the motor will be a minor challenge. Three screws hold the body to the chassis, one in the smokestack and two under the cab. Detail piping under the cab interferes with using a screwdriver there. Otherwise it's easy.

The instruction page has something about decoders which I haven't been able to translate yet. There is a card plugged into the decoder socket but it looks too simple to be a decoder. There are only two little blocks surface-mounted to the card and a lead into each and a lead out. At the end of the circuit board in the tender is the diode which illuminates the tender lamps.

The model is handsome, having nice proportions of a ten-wheeler. However, since this is how the locomotive appeared in war time, I think the B38 version in its red trimming would be better for general service on a model layout.
Attachments
DSC01548R.JPG
DSC01562R.JPG
DSC01569R.JPG
DSC01570R.JPG
DSC01571R.JPG
Last edited by dileTTante on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:44 am

One more photo---
Translations indicate that the locomotive has analog not DCC in the decoder slot.
Attachments
DSC01582R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Marquette » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:06 am

dileTTante wrote:The model is handsome, having nice proportions of a ten-wheeler. However, since this is how the locomotive appeared in war time, I think the B38 version in its red trimming would be better for general service on a model layout.

Well, for Germany, anyways, the black/red would be better.

But! This model, as it is, is great for pre-ww2 general service - it's in the standard scheme and lettering of the Chemins de Fer d'Etat (French State Railways - one of the rail companies in France prior to their unification and creation of SNCF). After the Germans... euh, shall we say, "reacquired" them in 1941, they had better things to do that paint them, so they operated in Germany still in the French scheme.

As it stands, this engine as the model is could well have pulled the "real" - great Orient Express on part of its journey! All you need is some CIWL cars!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CSD » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:34 am

Beautiful model! I'm envious.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby dileTTante » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:09 pm

All you need is some CIWL cars!
What I need is money. And CIWL in TT? Where?

The mysterious bits turned out to be extra fittings near the front coupler. The instructions have one photo of very poor quality and the largest piece can be made out. It's a big coupling hose with shutoff valve, which is also evident in photos in magazines.
dileTTante

Return to Beckmann TT Scale Models