oh my baby – Lok-N-Roll 0-6-0 Switcher

Re: oh my baby – Lok-N-Roll 0-6-0 Switcher

Postby Bigsix2102 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Hello Astrogoat760: Sorry for the late reply. As far as the one project goes, I need to find out from one gentleman on this forum who printed up, I believe, bettendorf freight car trucks on shapeways, perhaps. If he can help me print up 6 wheel tender trucks, then we will try to add all-wheel p/up to the tender of an old HP Steamer. With regards to how the Lok-N-Roll Switcher runs: super. It is quiet, the gears mesh well; and our improvements to it, have made it superb. The motor that came w/the stock frame, is a N-Scale open Frame, Rivarossi 3-Pole Motor. It is well-known to us in the N-Scale Steam world; as it is the same motor Rivarossi used in their N-Scale Big-Boys, Challengers, Heavy Mikado; and I believe the Heavy Pacific. My friend and I have much experience in taking out the original 3-pole armature & replacing it with a bachmann 5-pole armature; the magnents in this motor are much stronger than the original Rivarossi round-can motors. As far as our other TT projects go, we have been taking old HP Freight Cars & upgrading them w/Lok-N-Roll bettendorf freight car trucks; & recently w/TT-West Andrews Trucks & replacing the old HP couplers with Kadee 714's. Remember, we are N-Scalers, but we will help the TT crowd out now & then; based on our hard-earned experience in the N-Scale steam world. I hope this answers your question, Bob.
Bigsix2102

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Bigsix2102 wrote:Hello Astrogoat760: Sorry for the late reply. As far as the one project goes, I need to find out from one gentleman on this forum who printed up, I believe, bettendorf freight car trucks on shapeways, perhaps. If he can help me print up 6 wheel tender trucks, then we will try to add all-wheel p/up to the tender of an old HP Steamer. With regards to how the Lok-N-Roll Switcher runs: super. It is quiet, the gears mesh well; and our improvements to it, have made it superb. The motor that came w/the stock frame, is a N-Scale open Frame, Rivarossi 3-Pole Motor. It is well-known to us in the N-Scale Steam world; as it is the same motor Rivarossi used in their N-Scale Big-Boys, Challengers, Heavy Mikado; and I believe the Heavy Pacific. My friend and I have much experience in taking out the original 3-pole armature & replacing it with a bachmann 5-pole armature; the magnents in this motor are much stronger than the original Rivarossi round-can motors. As far as our other TT projects go, we have been taking old HP Freight Cars & upgrading them w/Lok-N-Roll bettendorf freight car trucks; & recently w/TT-West Andrews Trucks & replacing the old HP couplers with Kadee 714's. Remember, we are N-Scalers, but we will help the TT crowd out now & then; based on our hard-earned experience in the N-Scale steam world. I hope this answers your question, Bob.

Actually, my name is James, but the update on how things are going is quite nice, regardless.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bigsix2102 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 pm

Hello James/Astrogoat: There is one more TT-Scale Project we are currently working on, which I neglected to mention in my earlier post. It concerns the TT-Scale, Gutzold Dampflok(Steam Locomotive)-65. I picked it up on the "secondary market" & it was advertised as "Good as New." Wrong! It did not work very well at all. The problem was found to be a stripped gear in the drive gear train; the gear was the smallest at that! The solution was to procure Mod 4 Gears from Gizmozone. Those gears, while the right mod size, were too thick. We had to "wafer" the gear down to a thinner size using a lathe. And it seems to work. For those of you who do not have a lathe, the gear could be "wafered" using a hacksaw and then sand-paper the gear for the finished thickness. Any one who has a similar problem w/this TT-Scale Loco,contact me & I will give you technical pointers w/the right thickness dimension. That's all folks, signing off, Bob.
Bigsix2102

Previous

Return to General Discussion