B.T.S. Flagstop station

B.T.S. Flagstop station

Postby Arseny » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Now, I decided to assemble flagstop station ( http://www.btsrr.com/bts37400.htm )

IMG_7434_s.jpg
IMG_7442_s.jpg
pic13.jpg
pic14.jpg
Notice the brass door knob
pic15.jpg

"The perfect small town or wayside station for your pike! This depot is based on a southern prototype, but it is generic enough for nearly any location ...except perhaps downtown Manhatten!"

This kit consists of laser-cut basswood, plywood, cardstock shingles for roofing, and metal castings.
Last edited by Arseny on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Re: B.T.S. Flagstop station

Postby Arseny » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Some photos of assembling process

pic1.jpg
Starting point

I used ordinary wood yellow glue for this work. Shingles and window sashes are adhesive-back.

I painted the walls by "Naples Yellow" color, usual acrylic paint, by brush. You are to put all painted parts under the flat load overnight to avoid warping. Also I painted both sides.
I used "Oak" stain to paint the platform deck, foundation, and freight ramp. Trims are painted by "Mahogany" stain

pic2.jpg

The door. Notice the door knob.

pic4.jpg
pic4.jpg (19.18 KiB) Viewed 700 times

pic6.jpg

The chimney is metal casting. I airbrushed it by red primer.

pic11.jpg

As concerns roofing, the shingles in this kit are laser-cut, self-adhesive cardstock.You should peel away the shingles from the backing and press them firmly in place, on the roof, starting at the bottom row, and working up. Each succeeding layer of shingles should always overlap the lower layer and be offset about half a shingle width.
Then I airbrushed the shingles by gray primer.
Arseny

Postby areibel » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Nice Job Arseny!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Nice! And yes - the doorknob is pretty cool :)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:07 am

Some small tips:

I glued matchsticks inside the walls to avoid warping and to keep corners square.

It would be better to drill a hole in the roof BEFORE you glue the shingles on it. Otherwise you can damage them and need some additional painting.

I've printed the sign by my incjet printer. I named it "Rogers" to fit my future "Virginian" layout - they named the "front-end" station just "Rogers".
I printed the station name on the matt photo paper, and then glued the wooden frame (from the kit) on it, and then glued the wooden plate from the kit from the back side and painted the ends by black.
I decided to put one sign on the roof. So I sanded it a little by file from the bottom side and then glued it on the roof by usual wood yellow glue.

I tried to weather the chimney by grinded charcoal
Arseny

Postby milwrd1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:32 am

Nice job. The kit goes together easily. I like the mahogany trim with the yellow walls. :thumbup:
milwrd1

Postby railtwister » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:40 am

Arseny said: "I named it "Rogers" to fit my future "Virginian" layout - they named the "front-end" station just "Rogers"."

Hi Arseny, your station looks great. I've been wondering how your layout was coming along, because it's been a while since you posted anything about it. I hope progress is still being made, because you really did get off to a good start! Keep us up to date on any future progress...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Arseny » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:27 pm

railtwister wrote:Hi Arseny, your station looks great. I've been wondering how your layout was coming along, because it's been a while since you posted anything about it. I hope progress is still being made, because you really did get off to a good start! Keep us up to date on any future progress...

Bill in FtL

Hello, Bill! Thank you for your kind words.
Unfortunately I do not have a big progress with my layout. But I hope I will continue soon.
Of course I will post some photos of the process..
Arseny

Return to Builders' Corner