Available North American Prototypes

Available North American Prototypes

Postby Shipsure » Sat May 17, 2014 10:10 am

I was hoping I could find a concise list of what Injection Molded NA Freight Cars and above average Resin prototypes are available in TT. I'm sorta rushing head long into this scale and have a ton of ideas and I don't want to recreate the wheel or step on anyones toes. I've been on line and have seen tank cars, gons, 50' cars ...etc but no listing of manufacturers, if they are or not available. I have cars I want on my layout fitting a certain time period and will either buy, or scratchbuild/kit-form them so I can have the numbers I need and can share them with others. But it there's a really nice 10000 gallong acf tank car out there, it saves me some effort. Anyway I was hoping someone can point me to a list or something so I can keep focused and avoid lead balloons.

Also, with regards to trucks, working where I do, I may have the ability to contract my company (MTL) to do hard tooling and production of a few TT scale standard trucks and wheel sets. The design I have finished is much like our HON3 trucks and will allow for better ride control over uneven surfaces. I have 6 side frames designed so far and I've seen a few offered by what I think is a Russian Firm...attempted to check out their site and ended up having to clean off 20 browser hijackers from my computer. Once I bullet proof my computer this weekend I'll try it again. These would be injection molded out of Styrene and Engineering plastics like the big boys.

Joe
Shipsure

Re: Available North American Prototypes

Postby Marquette » Sat May 17, 2014 10:30 am

I don't know of a thorough list, but... what do you mean by "available"? In production only, or produced at some point and available now only through the second-hand market?

Also, what do you mean by "above average"? There is nothing available, to my knowledge, as resin kits of a quality comparable to Westerfield or Sunshine kits.

Injection-moulded there is only the 1937 AAR and 40' Fowler from Gold Coast.

There's no 10K gallon tank available, but the old brass Joma tank is an 8000-gallon, to the best of my ability to discern it's a UTL Type 11... the underframe needs detailing but the tank looks alright, so it's a serviceable model.

Rob M here on TT Nut (Midwest TT) makes a CNC-milled G31 gon and a modern boxcar of some type or other (I can't tell you what it is because I know nothing about anything post-1960).

3D Printed via Shapeways we've got a modern gon, a modern 17K gallon tank car and both 2-bay and 3-bay PS-2 covered hoppers. I've seen the 2-bay PS-2 first hand and it's good, with some detailing work can be an excellent model.

Make an X29 and I will be your friend forever!

Trucks - here, too, the selection of what I would call a good quality is limited. Gold Coast's ASF A-3 Ride Control is injection moulded and quite nice, probably the best truck we have available aside from the 70-t and 100-t roller bearing trucks with rotating bearing caps (don't ask me what type - too new for me) available from Art+Detail. Peresvet of Russia makes an arch bar and a few cast trucks of Russian design.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Sat May 17, 2014 10:36 am

Oh - the old Joma range of brass models in which that 8K gallon tank car was available also included a gon of a design unique to the Erie, and a PRR N8 cabin car. They're not to today's standards of course but I think both can be built up into very nice models with some care.
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Sat May 17, 2014 11:19 am

Oh, and another thing I forgot! Bill Dixon here in Vancouver has had made some resin models that are very nice - a CP-design Dominion car (with the unevenly-angled braces, as opposed to the evenly-angled braces used on CN (and other) Dominion cars and their clones), a GLa twin hopper, an offset-side twin hopper and a reefer... and I think a Dominion stock car, too. I'm kitbashing a GLa at the moment into a USRA hopper, and have a Dominion car and a reefer on the "ready track".
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Sat May 17, 2014 11:23 am

And yet another thing I've only just remembered... Rail TT in Ukraine makes some very nice automobiles and trucks, along with a single-sheathed boxcar that's a model of the CN's clone of the USRA single-sheathed design. I've got a few of these on hand in kit form, too. The ladders need removing and replacement because they're cast-on and the rung spacing is much too wide, but the quality of the castings themselves is very good. One of my kits I will do as a CN car, the other I think will serve as a very good basis for an SP B-50-14.
Marquette

Postby areibel » Sat May 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Like Xen said, currently available injection molded is a very short list! The Gold Coast cars (and trucks), and the Art & Detail trucks from Germany. I think there are pics somewhere here of the new tank car coming from MTB through Sazmodel.
And currently produced resin models are pretty thin too. The cars he mentioned, like Bill Dixon's cars and a few flat cars from A&D
and a few others. Rob's milled cars, the 50' Railbox and waffle side cars are the only newer 50' cars available, which is why I'm following your projects with great interest! Even if you only offer them as flats, if we have the roofs and ends the sides are the easiest piece to bash.
One question though, would you consider making your cars with the ladders as a separate piece, or etched? I think it makes a big difference in appearance, you can see pics of the etced details available for Rob's cars and the Gold Coast ones on the Sazmodel site. It's no big deal, especially if you already have them cut but it's a pain to shave the ladders off especially on the ends!
And trucks, that's excellent news if you can talk them into it! If you're not familiar with what's out there send me a PM and I can send you some of the current crop.
Al
areibel

Postby rdikken » Sat May 17, 2014 1:56 pm

@marguette
It only needs a x29?
rdikken

Postby Marquette » Sat May 17, 2014 2:48 pm

rdikken wrote:@marguette
It only needs a x29?

It's one way to achieve it!
Marquette

Postby Richard-B » Sat May 17, 2014 3:22 pm

rdikken wrote:It only needs an x29?

PRR-X29_draft1a.jpg
X29 artwork
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Marquette » Sat May 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Excellent! Now we just need a good model to put those on!
Marquette

Next

Return to General Discussion