Available North American Prototypes

Re: Available North American Prototypes

Postby j p » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:08 pm

gerhard_k wrote:
j p wrote:The door is OK, but I cut the sides slightly wrong. They are supposed to be shorter.
Doors made of metal were included too.

I see, so the whole car body needs to be less high - are the ends plain wood or some metal style? (the photo is too dark to tell). If metal, that would complicate changing the height.
And there are doors of this style made of metal? Who ever made those? Any current source(s)?

The ends are made of scribed wood, but the height of the ends is correct. Also the car body has correct height. Only the cardboard sides need to be less high - I have to remove something from the top and glue them back. The roof is made of wood and metal details.
I have also various metal ends for other cars. It is not easy to find out which end is correct for which car - although I have 2 books about reefers.
Christoph made the metal doors for reefers.
j p

Re: Available North American Prototypes

Postby gerhard_k » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:47 pm

j p wrote:
gerhard_k wrote:
j p wrote:The door is OK, but I cut the sides slightly wrong. They are supposed to be shorter.

I see, so the whole car body needs to be less high

The height of the ends is correct. Also the car body has correct height. Only the cardboard sides need to be less high - I have to remove something from the top and glue them back.

j_p, regarding your Oppenheimer reefer - In reading further in Tony Thompson's blog - http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013_ ... chive.html - I learned something new: it seems the doors on meat reefers were generally shorter in height than on produce reefers, and since my main interest is in citrus packing and PFE, I was comparing your car to typical PFE cars - my mistake in critiquing your car. I see now that the adjustment you plan to make is quite minor, and the door is of correct proportion.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Previous

Return to General Discussion