Available North American Prototypes

Re: Available North American Prototypes

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 am

scaro wrote:http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=78724

Not sure how this car got to the Alton & Southern. Years ago on STMFC, Hom mentioned Chicago Freight Car and USRE and the "rolling junk" leasing phenomenon of the 1960s which may have resulted in cars like this getting to a lot of small roads.

DMCI had some kind of X29-like car, I know because I saw a shot of a real one a few years ago, never managed to find it again.

Someone else must have seen it too, since here is a shot of a model:

http://greatdecals.com/Netterfield/ftddm&s_cars_009.JPG

DCI+4012.jpg

the midwestern Des Moines & Central Iowa Rwy X29 -like car I mentioned a while ago.
scaro

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:06 pm

I think that's a rebuilt USRA clone.
Tom Dempsey

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi Tom, Good point, yeah, the ends give away that it isn't an X29 and the way the sides stand proud of the sill ... hmm. wonder what it is? Among the lower height USRA d/s rebuilds were ACL and Charleston and Western Carolina and Frisco cars. I am not sure of s/s USRA rebuilds.
scaro

Postby gerhard_k » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:22 am

Bernd wrote:
Marquette wrote:I doubt paper would hold up well in the humid environments like southwestern BC, US Pacific northwest, Great Lakes areas...

Speaking of paper sides and living in the north east. Live north of the Finger Lakes and somewhat south east of the Great Lakes, I have to say that we do get some humid weather. So this next project that is lined up to do sometimes when the weather turns colder again, (fall) I have 15 paper car sides. I've always liked the NYC Pacemaker cars. Have several in HO plus a Pacemaker caboose. I thought a string of these in TT scale would be great to have. I cam across an E-bayer that makes paper sides in TT scale and NYC to boot so I ordered his car sides. I figure for around $16 for 15 car sides with different numbers it would be fun to do. The seller is "estorebooks" (Bill Laidlaw from Arroyo Grande, CA)

NYCpacesides.jpg

Guick note about the PS-1 boxcars. I have recently been going through some of my RR magazines, in particular Mainline Modeler. I came across a lot of drawings of PS-1 box cars from many different roads. Very interesting subject.

Bernd

Bill Laidlaw also offers PFE reefer sides, but they are printed in a way-too-dark shade of blood orange, really can't make a believable car with those; I emailed him after receiving them, asking about getting them in a more nearly correct color, and he didn't bother to reply.

But in general, can you talk about your method of using paper sides in a car? Glueing them to a wood? styrene? substrate, what kind of glue (I have seen some discussion about MEK giving problems)? SP modeler Tony Thompson, in his blog http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/ ... -glue.html - advocates for Canopy Glue as a great multi-surface adhesive, I was going to give that a try.
And is there a way of treating the paper to make it a little sturdier for handling and wear? I read somewhere about coating the edges with CA...
Also, what are good ways to work the corner junctions between panels of dissimilar materials? I guess what I would really like to see is a detailed article on building "old-fashioned" HP-style car kits - my skills are not that well developed. Maybe someone can cite something from back in the 50's?
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby scaro » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:09 pm

i found printed paper sides did not work. i could not find a glue that did not make the ink run and discolour, and the printing resolution wasn't fantastic either for TT. i moved on. i think others have tried and not found it to work either. i did a lot of hunting online but couldn't find anyone who got great results and was raving about it!

i do not think decals are that great either, but they are a more viable option for now.

i did one side for a mississippi central boxcar on paper, that laminated to perspex. but the paper needed to be absolutely swamped in solvent to secure it to the perspex; the difference between the two materials meant it was hard to avoid some warping and lifting. my test side doesn't look great now!

decals are perhaps yesterday's technology, they don't necessarily look great on small scale models even were they are available. but i think they are 'where it's at', at least at the moment.

if one could get printed, thin paper or plastic sides made out of the right sort of material, where detail like rivets or bolts can be rolled on with a riveting tool or scored with a hobby knife, with the right sort of glue or solvent so ink does not run, they could work for wagons like steel boxcars where paper has the potential to reproduce close to scale side detail in a scale like TT or N. screen printed sides are used a lot in british N scale for smooth coach and railcar sides too.

on a wagon with ribs or bracing, printed sides may be a bit more complicated as the ribs need to be glued to them without damaging the lettering.

as an idea, i think it's worth considering, but by someone with more talent than me who can get a control of all the variables.
scaro

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:19 pm

I have found that using spray adhesive on the back side of the printed cardstock and applying the card side to a substrate, such as balsawood or thicker cardstock helps to pretty much eliminate ink discoloration. It helps to firm up the edges, and once the glue dries, a coat or two of dull coat on the ink side helps with durability and longevity of the sides.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Old cardboard printed sides worked for me.
Old wooden scribed + printed sides are much more difficult to handle. They warp and crack.

OPPXreefer.jpg
j p

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:53 am

j p wrote:Old cardboard printed sides worked for me.

That's an attractive and unusual scheme, and the light green color is striking.

But the (printed, I presume) door bothers me - is it not much too small? See for example http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Red-Cabo ... 303-13.htm
gerhard_k

Postby j p » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:20 pm

The door is OK, but I cut the sides slightly wrong. They are supposed to be shorter. Next cars will be better. I have one more kit with the same sides. Therefore was this one chosen as a 'test and learning' kit. Doors made of metal were included too.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/data/maurice/200782110912_Sw-1.jpg
j p

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:12 pm

j p wrote:The door is OK, but I cut the sides slightly wrong. They are supposed to be shorter.
Doors made of metal were included too.

I see, so the whole car body needs to be less high - are the ends plain wood or some metal style? (the photo is too dark to tell). If metal, that would complicate changing the height.
And there are doors of this style made of metal? Who ever made those? Any current source(s)?
gerhard_k

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion