Re: Available North American Prototypes

Postby rdikken » Sat May 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Step by step.
rdikken

Postby Richard-B » Sat May 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Step by step.
I think at this point...
Marquette is ready to just decoupage a print-out onto the sides of an old HOn3 boxcar...!!!!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Marquette » Sat May 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Richard-B wrote:
Step by step.
I think at this point...
Marquette is ready to just decoupage a print-out onto the sides of an old HOn3 boxcar...!!!!

I'm almost ready to slap trucks onto a block of wood marked "PRR X29" with a black marker...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby j p » Sat May 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Marquette wrote:Oh, and another thing I forgot! Bill Dixon here in Vancouver has had made some resin models that are very nice - a CP-design Dominion car (with the unevenly-angled braces, as opposed to the evenly-angled braces used on CN (and other) Dominion cars and their clones), a GLa twin hopper, an offset-side twin hopper and a reefer... and I think a Dominion stock car, too. I'm kitbashing a GLa at the moment into a USRA hopper, and have a Dominion car and a reefer on the "ready track".

Correction: the twin hopper from Bill is only a "generic twin hopper" with no prototype, it is not a GLa. Perhaps, it was made after a H0 scale generic twin hopper with no prototype? I was very sorry for that because it takes the same time to make a correct model as to make a 'foobie'.
I am trying to make a USRA hopper out of one of them and H31 out of another.

You have fogotten those superb cars from Art & Detail!
Flatbed http://www.ttnut.com/resources/image/7109
Gunderson Maxi Stack http://www.ttnut.com/resources/maxi-stack-i/5521
Pulpwood car, caboose, high box...
j p

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat May 17, 2014 5:05 pm

I have the X29 artwork in my catalog, last time I asked no-one seemed interested in having it done, perhaps we can do that if you guys can give me an idea of how many your interested in.
Tom Dempsey

Postby j p » Sat May 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Marquette wrote:
Richard-B wrote:
Step by step.
I think at this point...

I'm almost ready to slap trucks onto a block of wood marked "PRR X29" with a black marker...

Use white marker, it looks more prototypical.
j p

Postby Marquette » Sat May 17, 2014 5:20 pm

j p wrote:Correction: the twin hopper from Bill is only a "generic twin hopper" with no prototype, it is not a GLa. Perhaps, it was made after a H0 scale generic twin hopper with no prototype? I was very sorry for that because it takes the same time to make a correct model as to make a 'foobie'.
I am trying to make a USRA hopper out of one of them and H31 out of another.

GLd should be doable too... but. It may actually be one of the plethora of very similar pre-USRA twin hoppers. I may have to investigate that. But it's close to a number of things, am working on a USRA out of it.

You have fogotten those superb cars from Art & Detail!
Flatbed http://www.ttnut.com/resources/image/7109
Gunderson Maxi Stack http://www.ttnut.com/resources/maxi-stack-i/5521
Pulpwood car, caboose, high box...

Yes - I forgot the flat car and the CN and CP cabooses. The others were kinda not on my radar for being too new, though I knew and forgot about the pulpwood car, I don't think I was even aware of the Maxi Stack...

Tom Dempsey wrote:I have the X29 artwork in my catalog, last time I asked no-one seemed interested in having it done, perhaps we can do that if you guys can give me an idea of how many your interested in.

The thing with the X29 is that... we have nothing suitable to put the decals on, yet. Modelling the Pennsy as I am I'm going to need a number of them, myself.

You do, though, have a number of things in your catalogue that I would be interested in, I need to run right now but will send you a PM after I'm home again.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby j p » Sat May 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Shipsure wrote:I was hoping I could find a concise list of what Injection Molded NA Freight Cars and above average Resin prototypes are available in TT. I'm sorta rushing head long into this scale and have a ton of ideas and I don't want to recreate the wheel or step on anyones toes. I've been on line and have seen tank cars, gons, 50' cars ...etc but no listing of manufacturers, if they are or not available. I have cars I want on my layout fitting a certain time period and will either buy, or scratchbuild/kit-form them so I can have the numbers I need and can share them with others. But it there's a really nice 10000 gallong acf tank car out there, it saves me some effort. Anyway I was hoping someone can point me to a list or something so I can keep focused and avoid lead balloons.

Also, with regards to trucks, working where I do, I may have the ability to contract my company (MTL) to do hard tooling and production of a few TT scale standard trucks and wheel sets. The design I have finished is much like our HON3 trucks and will allow for better ride control over uneven surfaces. I have 6 side frames designed so far and I've seen a few offered by what I think is a Russian Firm...attempted to check out their site and ended up having to clean off 20 browser hijackers from my computer. Once I bullet proof my computer this weekend I'll try it again. These would be injection molded out of Styrene and Engineering plastics like the big boys.

Joe

Joe, if you make MTL to manufacture TT scale trains, you'll be our hero!
(Big Boys in TT-scale were made of metal though) :grin:
Good luck!

Jan
j p

Postby Shipsure » Sat May 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks for the information! I re read my post and I hope I didn't come over like some sort of scale purist...not at all. I spend 10 hours a day being 100% Proto at work and generally enjoy setting that bar a lot lower for my hobby stuff. I would rather enjoy the experience than bring my work home any more than I do. Basically want to see what is out there, what are my options and to avoid scratchbuilding something only to find out there's a rockin' model already out there. My interest is Southern Pacific-ish...1955-1965 but am considering doing a freelance layout that runs along the Sonoma County Coast with my own take on some what if industries between Bodega Bay and points north. Thinking Flat Cars, type 27 8-10,000 gallon tank cars...boxes of course and some lumber cars like the Bulkhead Flat I did. Again for the collective response!

As for getting MTL to do a new scale...those days are over unless someone can prove to me I can sell a couple thousand cars every month, but through some inventive crowd funding, I can hire my employer to make the tooling. More later

Cheers

Joe
Shipsure

Postby areibel » Sat May 17, 2014 10:41 pm

No Problem Joe, and Thank you!
The stuff you're already doing on your own will be a big boost. The trucks would be great but if it's not possible, well that's OK too. A new 50 foot boxcar and bulkhead flat, buildings not to mention the detail goodies for someone that's been here, what, three weeks? I can't see any big manufacturer looking at us seriously yet, but it's nice to dream that one might. (instead of doing yet another HO scale F unit!).
And don't worry about sounding like a scale purist- we all sound like that! It comes with finally discovering the perfect scale!
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion