Automatic DCC coupler (pics 1-5)

Automatic DCC coupler (pics 1-5)

Postby CN-TT » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi,
this is the translation of my "how to" report from the TT-board forum.

I always had a strong interest in a remote controlled coupler. My conversion is now complete and here is my report.

specifications:
It should be compatible with the new Tillig-coupler (hereinafter " T." )!
There should be no modification needed on the counterpart on a car!
My conversion took place on a TT- digital coupler made by Krois (hereinafter " K." ) and is actually not that complicated. Originally, I wanted to convert the coupler so that both hooks of either side connect to the counterpart. This idea was not pursued because of the mechanical complexity ( Not that I have not tried it ! ) It is in my point of view not too critical since the so equipped locomotives are shunting locomotives exclusively on flat terrain without significant changes in slope . And quite honestly, a mainline train will stop almost near the same spot to uncouple the cars and in this case a stationary uncoupler underneath is more convenient.
In the attached pictures you can see the following steps .
Procedure:
The metal bracket of the Krois coupler was removed. Then a T. coupler for NEM was shortened. I recommend only the coupler for the NEM intake. After that I superglued both parts and removed all the unnecessary parts. A level gauge is absolutely necessary here . The parts of both manufacturers have exactly the same width, which does not require any further processing . After the glue has dried, I made sure that I removed all the useless parts (circled in green).

Now the processing of the metal bracket. Since this must be soldered later it is required to remove the magnet underneath . Magnets and heat DO NOT go well together. Heat almost wins every time. :mrgreen: The original K - front bracket has been completely removed. Furthermore, the original stop bracket must be reduced by 2 -3mm . It would interfere with the T-coupler of the car.
Now the new hook is prepared. At first I used a 1mm wide strips of brass . This had two major drawbacks . First, the adjustment on the opposite side was more than bad , and secondly , and the main argument , the weight . The magnet was incapable to raise the part in this situation. Alternatively, I now used a 0.35mm phosphor bronze wire of 14 mm length. 10 and 4 mm. This hook is now even more adjustable. When pulling some heavy freight, the hook would not bend open. You rather pull out the complete coupler before bending the hook!
conclusion: this was not my last! (Now I know for sure because of my broken one!!!)

addendum for ttnutters:
The DCC part: You can buy decoders with a so called "coupler waltz". With the push of just 1 function button the following will happen automatically:
1st: the engine will push a few mm towards the train to relieve both couplers.
2nd: the elektromagnet lifts the hook
3rd: the engine backs off the train for a some cm. DONE
You can determine how far (actually how many miliseconds/seconds) you want the engine to push, how long you need the hook to lift and how far (actually how many miliseconds/seconds) you want the engine to back off. But you should never exceed more than 10 seconds for lifting the hook. That would cause the solenoid to overheat. The wire inside is only 0.03mm in diameter including the microinsulation!!!
Attachments
A00_original_KROIS.JPG
A01_two_main_parts.JPG
A02_Tillig_front.JPG
A03_removed_parts1.JPG
A04_removed_parts2.JPG
CN-TT

Automatic DCC coupler (pics 6-10)

Postby CN-TT » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Here are the last pictures and the video link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mw7saklMOA
Attachments
A05_the_hook.JPG
A06_sideview.JPG
A07_topview.JPG
A08_rearview.JPG
A09_finished.JPG
CN-TT

Re: Automatic DCC coupler (pics 1-5)

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Definitely an interesting concept. Somewhere I have a Hornby OO scale Class 08 shunter with a "remote" uncoupler, where the rear hook was weighted as such that a quick reverse-stop would put slack in the coupler, and the hook would rise, uncoupling the cars behind it.

Now if we can only get DCC uncoupling to work for knuckle couplers in TT scale...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CN-TT » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:34 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote: Now if we can only get DCC uncoupling to work for knuckle couplers in TT scale...

Challenge accepted! I keep you updated! :think:
CN-TT

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:51 pm

Fabulous! As time permits, I'll do the conversion for all of my shunters :)
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:49 am

Pretty slick, Bjorn.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CN-TT » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks guys,

today I found a kadee-like remote uncoupler

The description says it is N-scale!?
I think, I will go the same way. If I equip every second car with this, I can uncouple between every single car. I already ordered 2 servos with built-in decoder.

Björn
CN-TT

Postby j p » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:11 pm

CN-TT wrote:Thanks guys,

today I found a kadee-like remote uncoupler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bALCTL9NEA). The description says it is N-scale!?
I think, I will go the same way. If I equip every second car with this, I can uncouple between every single car. I already ordered 2 servos with built-in decoder.

Björn

The coupler is N scale, the train is H0m, (H0 scale narrow gauge, 12mm - same as our TT).
j p

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:30 am

"Now if we can only get DCC uncoupling to work for knuckle couplers in TT scale...'

First we need more equipment to put remote uncouplers on? ...DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:13 am

ctxmf74 wrote:"Now if we can only get DCC uncoupling to work for knuckle couplers in TT scale...'

First we need more equipment to put remote uncouplers on? ...DaveB

Agreed.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Electric / DCC