Atlas n tt tread.

Atlas n tt tread.

Postby jmass » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Iwent up on the atlas n forum to see if there had been any new entries on the tt tread and noticing there hasn't been one scince 2011 was going to join and put up a video of the sw 1200. I got a message saying they were no longer taking new members. what the hell is that all about?
jmass

Re: Atlas n tt tread.

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:22 pm

I think that board is pretty much dead.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Yeah ,they shut it down to save the costs. Uless they started it up again anything there is just left overs.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:06 pm

To save costs?!?!?!?!? If they can't afford a website, they're in SERIOUS trouble.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:33 pm

I don't think it was the website cost itself that was the issue, but rather the cost of employing people to administrate it. If I remember correctly, the admins were just guys from Atlas and too much of their time was going into the site instead of their "real" jobs.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Gotcha

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:22 pm

I think CSD has it, I really don't think Atlas a ton of people working there, so someone got to be the web master as an extra. And I think it got a little heated on that board at times, there were some strong personalities there (makes me happy we have our own quiet corner of the Net!)!
Actually it was replaced by the Atlas Rescue Forum, http://atlasrescueforum.proboards.com/
I think Donnell Wells (SD80mac on here) runs it, or is at least a mod.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:09 am

^^^ site won't load for me
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:36 am

i spoke with another manufacturer just before atlas pulled the forums. he said a few things which in retrospect, indicated why they did it. the upshot was the effort in supervising it couldn't be demonstrated to have much effect on sales. they literally regretted setting it up in the first place and put it down to 'early internet era optimism.'

there's a type of forum person who campaigns loudly for X to be done, but for all the noise and in spite of any efforts to please him, will always find a reason not to buy whatever it is he has put someone else up to doing. he''ll get on a manufacturer's case about how their GP35 tooling should be rejigged to do an RTR GP28, then beg off buying it because the shade of green in the IC diamond is slightly off. many of these guys do not take to being ignored well; why give them a soapbox outside your front door?

this is why i get wound up when folk come on here and say 'someone' should engage with this or that manufacturer in the cause of getting this or that RTR model. want a job done? do the work yourself.

N scale in my experience over the last decade or so, became a scale with many people who were very demanding as to what they expected to be released and when. just a less nice place overall. i knew a few N manufacturers. not for nothing do they say that moving from your own modelling to manufacturing is a sure way to develop a deep and abiding dislike of modellers. :wink:

sometimes when you tell them you are a TTer, they are actually a bit relieved; they assume you do your own thing, appreciate at least some of the technical issues, and are less likely to get on their case. that is kind of nice.

if i were a manufacturer, aside from market surveys and seeking data to get the product right, and aftersales support for my *real* customers, i would not actively engage with the wider public, especially online.

at least the board (or mirrors of it?) have remained accessible via search results so you can go through it for information.
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:32 pm

"want a job done? do the work yourself."

The hobby as we know it would not exist if we didn't ask for and buy stuff. Do it yourself works for exercise but not for creating the supply chain needed for a large layout or a large group of modelers or collectors. I grew up in the last part of the DIY era and it wasn't pretty. Crude models, poor craftsmanship, low standards, and a general sorry state of affairs compared to now. Newcomers don't realize how good we have it now compared to the do it yourself days. There's nothing bad about more product other than it's often the wrong product for our needs, On30 for instance is so close to On3 that it's a waste of production capacity that could well have been directed to TT scale instead. The O narrow gauge guys would have survived and TT would have thrived.
The main problem with the Atlas forum was like any branded forum it attracts the zealots who think they'd found the true religion and don't want to hear anything negative about their chosen product. The same thing happens on the OGR forum between MTH and Lionel guys. A broader based forum like the MRH forum doesn't have that problem as there are more guys with wider experience to keep things real...DaveB
ctxmf74

Next

Return to General Discussion