Atlas n tt tread.

Re: Atlas n tt tread.

Postby scaro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:15 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"want a job done? do the work yourself."

The hobby as we know it would not exist if we didn't ask for and buy stuff.

Oh excellent ... so you asked Atlas, or Bachmann, or was it Blackstone? How did it go?
scaro

Postby areibel » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Guys, this is getting old!
You're both right on some things, and you're both wrong on others. For example Bachmann and On30. New scale? Well, sort of. But with ready made track and mechanisms from their HO line it probably wasn't a big investment like tooling everything up from scratch, and they probably got a return on investment with their first Christmas sets to run around the tree. And that's what the first offerings were, cutesy trains for kids to run . But someone that wanted to run narrow gauge trains on the cheap discovered it was perfect to kinda sorta represent real narrow gauge. Compare the equipment cost to On3 and you can see where it would be attractive, and the trains are well done. Big stuff that's done well, it sells. And with lots of O scale parts and accessories for the more serious modeller, slam dunk. But to start completely from scratch on a different scale? Nope, won't happen. Even some that did well trying it at first have given up (think Lionel or even Polk's in G scale).

But any manufacturer that would turn something out to please one or even a small group of modelers isn't going to survive either. It's much better in TT now than it was with the more modern production methods but I've been told "No" on many occasions. From companies offering N or HO scale etched details to Shapeways to laser kits, some just don't want to bother. And some of these projects could be done in very small runs that would guarantee a sell out and money in their pocket. But I'm not bemoaning the death of TT scale because of it. I'll keep asking, and hoping for more guys like ConducTTor and CSD to come along. If you'd have told me five years ago we'd have the Shapeways cars and an RTR locomotive I'd have laughed at you. But it happened, and I think there are more people out there that can do the same thing. We have to attract them, either by getting out there and showing it off, getting publicity however we can- the recent posts on the MRH forum and the MRN article are just what we need. We have to keep going. Ourselves. Show the guys whose idea of model railroading that there's more than taking stuff out of the box and setting it on the rails. Get them here, get them interested and let it work on it's own!
But for anyone interested to come here and see this sort of petty bickering, that's not something we need!
areibel

Postby tomvanhoy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:01 pm

Couldn't agree more, well said Al!
tomvanhoy

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Boom!

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:44 pm

Oh excellent ... so you asked Atlas, or Bachmann, or was it Blackstone? How did it go?

I'm asking all of them and more. I invite every manufacturer to build TT stuff. I'd love to see the day when folks can pick their scale based on their preferences and their available space and not on the amount of equipment available. Face it, as TT stands now it couldn't supply more modelers so no one can switch. I've been around long enough to appreciate the charm of TT's size and would like to see it on equal footing with the other scales. If you don't want me to promote TT's advantages that's your problem. So just stop ranting about my position and in return I won't comment on your being so negative about TT's prospects ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby scaro » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:39 am

guys, there is a simple question here of manners. it is rude to persistently jump on threads to tell others to do that which one has not done oneself, or that which one has no evidence is a fruitful way to spend time. this is a hobby. everyone should run after that which he or she wants for himself, and not try to talk others into running his errands for him.

it's your TT. no one else can feel it for you.
scaro

Postby areibel » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:00 am

scaro wrote:guys, there is a simple question here of manners.

And your post at the top of this page was good manners?
Think Golden Rule. Ignore it. DNFTT, as is said on other boards. Quit worrying about what others are saying and go finish sanding the nose of that Baldwin, I want pics of it finished!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Let's all be civil pls. I dont want this to turn into one of those other forums.

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:11 pm

"it is rude to persistently jump on threads to tell others to do that which one has not done oneself, or that which one has no evidence is a fruitful way to spend time."

I'm sorry if you got that impression but I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, I'm just lobbying for the growth of American TT scale. I see no reason it can't be as popular as the other scales if it had the support of the same manufacturers. TT has it's own special size that is ideal for as many people as HO or N scales but many people can't now choose to model in TT due to lack of product. Take track as an example, I can build my own track even though I don't want to but what about a newcomer to the hobby looking at TT and being told there's a guy in Russia making track but he don't want to sell it to us, and there's Tillig track which can be ordered at great cost but there's no Atlas track or Micro Engineering track. So what do you think the guy will do? Multiply that by locos, cars, buildings, etc. and it's a hard sell and the sad thing is it shouldn't be a hard sell because TT has that own great size just waiting to be enjoyed.......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby jmass » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:12 pm

I have to say that considering where tt was four years ago we have come a long way. we now have possibilities that we didn't have then. the best you could do was by something on ebay that was just about to break or needed parts you couldn't find anywhere. I make no bones about it, I am a RTR right out of the package type of guy. all the hp models I bought and tried to put together, well lets just say they sucked. I envy you guys that talk the the engineering and specs of the models but that will never be me. so I would have to say im pretty happy with the state of tt right now. and its only going to get better.
jmass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion