atlas n scale forum tt scale thread

Talk about anything and everything!

atlas n scale forum tt scale thread

Postby jmass » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:03 am

if anybody is intererested check out this forum and see what the naysayers are saying.scaro is on it giving the good fight. i just go on atlas tt scale forum and it takes me right to it.
jmass

Re: atlas n scale forum tt scale thread

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:18 am

I am afraid of how I might react or what I might post, so I think I will stay away from that place.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks jmass, I've actually been following that for a long time - I follow EVERYTHING that has to do with TT and especially our 'little' site here :D
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:17 pm

I don't see it, can someone post a link?
areibel

Postby jmass » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:28 pm

i dont have a link, i just type on search atlas tt scale forum and it takes me to the atlas n scale forum where you will see the treads for tt scale.
jmass

Postby CSD » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:57 pm

I think I live in a different TT world than the rest of you. TT has grown fantastically worldwide over the last 20 years. Tillig has surpassed its Zeuke/BTTB roots and become a major global producer. Many other major brands have joined the market (Roco, Brawa, Gutzold) not to mention the smaller producers (I could name 20 off the top of my head). Even the Japanese make some limited models. Retail outlets, that were once only found in eastern europe, have spread to the world, even here in Canada. Although I applaud and support those making the arguments, these discussions always revert to what it could be instead of what it is. Everyone dances around these points with fantasies about American prototypes or some 60 year old relic (that can't compete) in favor of how vibrant and active it is today. It makes me mad. This exclusivity is the very reason I've not joined the TT scale society. I'm sorry that TT is not what you want it to be, but from my perspective its great!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby jmass » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:24 pm

as much as ide admit to being one of those that cant understand how z scale can have manufacterers willing to make product, and tt cannot, i have no complaints with the european tt scale product thats out there.i quite like my roco dcc setup and cant wait to expand on it with more cars and locos.i guesse i just cant understand the lack of interest in the scale in general.
jmass

Postby areibel » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:18 pm

CSD wrote:I think I live in a different TT world than the rest of you. TT has grown fantastically worldwide over the last 20 years. Tillig has surpassed its Zeuke/BTTB roots and become a major global producer. Many other major brands have joined the market (Roco, Brawa, Gutzold) not to mention the smaller producers (I could name 20 off the top of my head). Even the Japanese make some limited models. Retail outlets, that were once only found in eastern europe, have spread to the world, even here in Canada. Although I applaud and support those making the arguments, these discussions always revert to what it could be instead of what it is. Everyone dances around these points with fantasies about American prototypes or some 60 year old relic (that can't compete) in favor of how vibrant and active it is today. It makes me mad. This exclusivity is the very reason I've not joined the TT scale society. I'm sorry that TT is not what you want it to be, but from my perspective its great!

Good Points, but I think it's all a matter of perspective. U.S. modelers grew up looking at second generation diesels Now they see the big GEs and EMDs on the big railroads, most of the older stuff is relegated to short lines. But that's what they want to model. I'd bet probably 2/3 to 3/4 of "new" modelers model diesels, that's what they see. I'm impressed with Tillig, Roco, Brawa, etc locomotives and I'd love to have several- starting with the Brawa E95. But if I build a layout, it's not going to be European. It won't have a catenary for an electric loco. That's not what I want to model. I can't think of why any modeler would want to choose a scale just because there was stuff available, almost everyone chooses a prototype first. It's their money to spend, and they'll spend it on what they want.
TT is often compared to S scale, and there are some parallels. But S scale got a huge boost from all the guys that ran their high rail American Flyer stuff as kids and then wanted it better. Back in the 70's and 80's there were several companies that offered parts to convert the high rail locomotives and cars to more prototypical operation. It wasn't untill someone finally realized there was a demand that several manufacturers started turning out the models you see offered in S today. TT doesn't have that kind of history, but we adopt the European models and try to convert them to a more familiar look. Maybe one of the manufacturers of TT will try more American prototypes, it would be great. Tillig made an attempt, but when you show your $350 FP7 and a set of three boxcars ($400) to an HO modeler, they will laugh at you or think you're nuts. An Athearn top of the line Genesis F unit with DCC and sound goes for about half of your locomotive's cost, and you can buy a three unit set for about $50 more. And Freight cars- Nice ones are $10- $15 each, top of the line Tangents are less than $40 a piece. I know everything costs more in Europe, but come on!
That's what the Society is trying to do. We don't want to dominate the TT world. We don't want to surpass HO as the most popular scale- it will never happen. We are a vehicle for getting SOMETHING in the pipeline that will appeal to the US modeler. I chose TT because I'd never have room for a huge layout, and I could find some US prototype stuff. But I want more. I want to let the guy in the same situation be able to have a choice of more than I had. He'll still have to build it, for now. But I think there are enough guys that are MODEL railroaders instead of model Railroader- there is a difference! The MODELERS want to build things, match a prototype, etc.. The Railroaders want to run trains. It's rare that both are combined into one. If there are 100 active TT'ers in the US right now, OK. We're getting stuff done, in spite of TT's past. But what if we can get some attention. What if we bring out a US diesel like a GP38-2? I think more people will take a look. WE have to get TT to grow. If we can get to 500 active modelers- stuff will happen. And more than that , weell that might be the time that one of the US manufacturers starts to take notice. It will take work, but say we get to 2000 modelers, that's about the number where if they have a choice of building another rework of an already released model (look at HO F units), or maybe trying something where there is no real competiton?
I'm hoping they take a chance! Or maybe one of the smaller HO manufacturers will become the big guy in TT? I don't know, but I'm noy going to sit and wait for it, I'm gonna push a little!
Al
areibel

Postby jmass » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:40 pm

when people ask me why a grown man would play with trains, i say for the same reason a grown man would play with vidio games. its much like fishing to me, hard to explain why you enjoy it you just do.i tell them with model railroading you can create your own little corner of the world, and take it as far as you like.not to mention the good memories it brings back of standing track side as a 100 car freight train with five sd45s roars by on the erie lackawana.which to ariebles point is why we like to see more american prototype.
jmass

Postby areibel » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:23 pm

jmass wrote:not to mention the good memories it brings back of standing track side as a 100 car freight train with five sd45s roars by on the erie lackawana.

jmass, you have excellent taste in railroads! The EL is what my HO models are, I want the same in TT!
areibel

Next

Return to Off Topic