AstroGoat and CaTTwoman's 2020 NTS Preparations

Re: AstroGoat and CaTTwoman's 2020 NTS Preparations

Postby MacG » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:46 am

For trains running continuously is a circle track layout the advantage. On a bar or L-shaped layout, you will need two loops or enough depth. See the Lok-n-Roll exhibition layout. It is approx. 3 ft deep. With this small radius, it is good to hide away the tracks. This is an enormous effort in landscaping.

At a modular layout is the Donut-shaped the best option. If you stay young, you can crawl under the tables to reach the inside. Some others build narrow bridge modules or bascule modules to easier get inside.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:06 pm

MacG wrote:For trains running continuously is a circle track layout the advantage. On a bar or L-shaped layout, you will need two loops or enough depth. See the Lok-n-Roll exhibition layout. It is approx. 3 ft deep. With this small radius, it is good to hide away the tracks. This is an enormous effort in landscaping.

At a modular layout is the Donut-shaped the best option. If you stay young, you can crawl under the tables to reach the inside. Some others build narrow bridge modules or bascule modules to easier get inside.

I concur with this reasoning.

The "living room" of our second house is about 13' 6" x 12' 6", which means that for all intents and purposes, the limiting size factor for the modular layout for the 2020 NTS will be 12' x 12'. This means that if I use 3' square corner modules, I could use four 6' long modules to complete the layout.

Later on will come a dedicated layout building of 14' x 20'-30' of size, which will allow for a larger layout.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 pm

The more I think about it, I think I will go with a 13' x 12' donut layout to start with, with a pair of 3' x 3' corner modules, two 4' x 3' corner modules (at least one with an independent loop on it), and four 2' x 6' modules that will be straightaways with sidings.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:47 am

Here is a preliminary module design sheet for the 13' x 12' layout:
13 x 12 TT Layout.png
13 x 12 TT Layout.png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 110 times

Note that the far left 2' x 6' module may become a 3' x 6' module with control functions for the throttles built in on the inner apron, and the 4' x 3' corner modules may have the inner corner "clipped".
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:07 am

Here is another thought for the module preparations: how would a banner that is raised between two of the corner modules, say 6' wide and 2' tall sound?
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:28 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:Here is another thought for the module preparations: how would a banner that is raised between two of the corner modules, say 6' wide and 2' tall sound?

Here is a design idea:
TT Banner.png

Any comments or suggestions for more banner ideas?
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:37 am

And here is a more simplified 2'x6' banner:
2x6 TT Banner.png
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:05 am

Why not just use what the west coast/canada crew use? I think if we're consistent, maybe it will start sticking in people's heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:46 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Why not just use what the west coast/canada crew use? I think if we're consistent, maybe it will start sticking in people's heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a good idea. I have discussed the banner question with Nicholle (CaTTwoman) at length, and we found two reasons to go with our own banner:

1.) I would really hate to ruin someone else's banner due to whatever issue that may happen.
2.) We feel that if everything was unified, that may introduce the perception that there is only one TT Scale hobby group out there.

I am open to using other people's banner designs, though. The first two I posted were just preliminary ideas.
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:10 pm

While the graphics on our banner are nice and the design matches the shirts we wear - thanks to Bjoern (CNTT) - the message is a bit confusing. The HO stands out and is the main thing seen from a distance. Richard Brennan said he wanted to create a new design. But I suspect he has a long list of things he wants to do.

Many visitors ask what scale it is, so either they don't look at the banner or they don't understand it. I think a banner that just says 'TT Scale' in big letters would do. I prefer the colours we have to the proposed blue and orange. Or maybe just blue as in the pamphlet.

- Terry C
Attachments
TT Nut pamphlet (1).png
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans