Assembling a Lok-n-Roll 50ft Boxcar

Assembling a Lok-n-Roll 50ft Boxcar

Postby RodTT » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:23 pm

I'm making a Lok-n-Roll 50ft boxcar kit and I'm having a bit of a problem identifying parts on the etch:

P1040818.JPG

The four components at top right seem pretty clearly to be the stirrups, and the sixteen at bottom right the steps to go on the car sides to form the ladders. Then I assume the parts marked A are stencil plates, one for each end, and those marked B the platforms that go above the couplers, again one at each end.
Then I'm assuming the four other ladder-like parts, two at top left and two at bottom left, are ladders for the car ends.
Would this be correct so far or do I have some of it wrong?
And what are the parts I've marked C? They don't seem to fit anywhere obvious. Door handles maybe?

Also, looking at the photos below, what I assume are the ladder steps are too wide to fit snugly into the holes in the car sides, as are the stirrups. Do I just exercise a bit of sleight-of-hand to get them to fit, or is something amiss?

P1040820.JPG

The other ladder-like objects are maybe a better fit at the sides, but still don't look quite right there or at the ends:

P1040821.JPG

Any help greatly appreciated.
RodTT

Re: Assembling a Lok-n-Roll 50ft Boxcar

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 am

I felt like most of the fret suffered too much from the German groups tendency to model in the "American Flavor" mode instead of going for something more in the ballpark of prototypically correct for any particular 50 foot car. Some of the parts are quite useful, however, I would just as soon build my own from brass shapes next time around.
Tom Dempsey

Postby MacG » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:15 pm

This looks like a 50'-FMC Boxcar. For this car, you have gotten the wrong etched parts.

They should look like this:

Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby RodTT » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:55 am

MacG wrote:This looks like a 50'-FMC Boxcar. For this car, you have gotten the wrong etched parts.

They should look like this:

Well, that would explain it. I daresay I could make up my own ladders but these kits aren't cheap so I'll see if Lok-n-Roll can send me the right one.
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:47 am

Well, no reply whatever from Lok-n-Roll so I made my own side ladders and stirrups in the end, and used their ladders for the ends. Doesn't look too bad actually.

On to painting, and I used Rust-Oleum grey primer for the first coat, which went on well. I had some Humbrol matt brown and used this for the covering coat but, though it went on well enough, I ran out halfway through. I bought some Rust-Oleum satin brown and went over the Humbrol with this. The finish looks fine but two days on, and it's still a bit tacky. Could this be from covering one brand of paint with another, or does satin take ages to dry properly, or can anyone suggest another reason? All the paint I used is acrylic spray.
RodTT

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:38 am

RodTT wrote:The finish looks fine but two days on, and it's still a bit tacky. Could this be from covering one brand of paint with another, or does satin take ages to dry properly, or can anyone suggest another reason? All the paint I used is acrylic spray.

Yes, no, I once waited six weeks for some paint to dry, it never did. You might try hitting it with a blow dryer on low heat, but if it's a chemical reaction with the underlying paint and that paint wasn't completely cured when you applied the possibly incompatible top coat, this treatment might also not work out.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Richard-B » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 pm

...as Tom alludes to:
I suspect the | Rust-Oleum acrylic / Humbrol enamel / Rust-Oleum acrylic | paint 'sandwich' is NOT chemically happy.

See if it stabilizes over the next few days; If still tacky, you may have to strip and start over.

Note to Self: Don't layer dis-similar paints (unless well-documented to work)

Note #2 to self: This applies even to various paint types (formulations) from the SAME manufacturer.
A look at the Rust-Oleum SDS (Safety Data Sheets) https://www.rustoleum.com/Rustoleum/pages/find-a-product#msds will show just how many formulations there can be... Note they also now own Testors and ModelMaster.

Caveat Emptor! YMMV
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby RodTT » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:21 pm

Richard-B wrote:...as Tom alludes to:
I suspect the | Rust-Oleum acrylic / Humbrol enamel / Rust-Oleum acrylic | paint 'sandwich' is NOT chemically happy.

See if it stabilizes over the next few days; If still tacky, you may have to strip and start over.

The Humbrol was acrylic too, which is why I'm a bit surprised. But point taken. As to starting over, that's for a time when I really have nothing better to do!

Meanwhile, careful handling at my first show on Sunday will be called for.
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:59 am

Well, it's dry. Almost. 95%.
RodTT

Postby Richard-B » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Now the question is:
- Will it EVER dry completely...?
- or will it stay at 95% forever!
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Next

Return to Builders' Corner