Assembling a Lok-n-Roll 50ft Boxcar

Assembling a Lok-n-Roll 50ft Boxcar

Postby RodTT » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:23 pm

I'm making a Lok-n-Roll 50ft boxcar kit and I'm having a bit of a problem identifying parts on the etch:

P1040818.JPG

The four components at top right seem pretty clearly to be the stirrups, and the sixteen at bottom right the steps to go on the car sides to form the ladders. Then I assume the parts marked A are stencil plates, one for each end, and those marked B the platforms that go above the couplers, again one at each end.
Then I'm assuming the four other ladder-like parts, two at top left and two at bottom left, are ladders for the car ends.
Would this be correct so far or do I have some of it wrong?
And what are the parts I've marked C? They don't seem to fit anywhere obvious. Door handles maybe?

Also, looking at the photos below, what I assume are the ladder steps are too wide to fit snugly into the holes in the car sides, as are the stirrups. Do I just exercise a bit of sleight-of-hand to get them to fit, or is something amiss?

P1040820.JPG

The other ladder-like objects are maybe a better fit at the sides, but still don't look quite right there or at the ends:

P1040821.JPG

Any help greatly appreciated.
RodTT

Re: Assembling a Lok-n-Roll 50ft Boxcar

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 am

I felt like most of the fret suffered too much from the German groups tendency to model in the "American Flavor" mode instead of going for something more in the ballpark of prototypically correct for any particular 50 foot car. Some of the parts are quite useful, however, I would just as soon build my own from brass shapes next time around.
Tom Dempsey

Postby MacG » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:15 pm

This looks like a 50'-FMC Boxcar. For this car, you have gotten the wrong etched parts.

They should look like this:

MacG

Postby RodTT » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:55 am

MacG wrote:This looks like a 50'-FMC Boxcar. For this car, you have gotten the wrong etched parts.

They should look like this:

Well, that would explain it. I daresay I could make up my own ladders but these kits aren't cheap so I'll see if Lok-n-Roll can send me the right one.
RodTT

Return to Builders' Corner