Arseny's layout

Re: Arseny's layout

Postby railtwister » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:22 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Not sure Bill. It does appear to be an iPad specific issue though vs a forum issue.

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi Alex,

You may be right, I've been an Apple user for over 20 years now, but since getting the iPad, I've been suffering some serious buyer's remorse. About the only positive things I can say is that it has a pretty good camera and a great display, and came in a nice box. However, I wish I had spent the money I wasted on it for trains instead, they're usually far less disappointing.

I hope I'll get used to the iPad and begin to like it better as time passes (that's how it was with my now 10 year old 17" iMac, which I'm really missing right about now).

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby j p » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 pm

railtwister wrote:

However, I wish I had spent the money I wasted on it for trains instead, they're usually far less disappointing.

Good point! :thumbup:
The trains don't get obsolote as fast as the computers either.
j p

Postby railtwister » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:58 am

I didn't mean for my iPad to hijack this thread about Arseny's layout. Have we confirmed that the grade is actually about 4 percent? Somehow, it doesn't look all that steep in the video, though it's hard to say for sure. Figuring out the grade should be a lot easier using metric dimensions, don't you think?

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Arseny » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:05 am

railtwister wrote:Have we confirmed that the grade is actually about 4 percent? Somehow, it doesn't look all that steep in the video

Yess. If you look at the first shot, first picture of the movie, you'll see the starting point of the slope, the beginnging of the saw cut.
Maybe the slope was non-even all the way.

P.S. ConducTTor, can't you split this thread into 2 separate threads?..
Arseny

Postby j p » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:39 am

railtwister wrote: Figuring out the grade should be a lot easier using metric dimensions, don't you think?

Bill in FtL

The grade is exactly the same regardless of which units you use for measuring it (as long as you use the same unit for length as for the elevation).
Percent, or 1/x is exactly the same in metric, imperial or Polynesian unit system.
Historically, railroads used 1/x in some countries and ‰ in other countries.
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Arseny wrote:ConducTTor, can't you split this thread into 2 separate threads?..

The iPad thing is already going on in the "about the board" forum. I can delete iPad comments from this thread if you want.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:43 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
Arseny wrote:I can delete iPad comments from this thread if you want.

At your option.
Arseny

Postby gaborden » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:27 am

This is great that you are building the Virginian in TT. I started one in HO and was having trouble with the grade around Hunter Mountain. Decided to start over and expand from 4' x 8' to 5' x 10' so I can run passenger trains (22" & 26" radius) in addition to a lower grade out of Reid Gap to Green Hill.
What are the dimensions of your layout in TT?
gaborden

Postby gaborden » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:43 am

Hi folks - Just joining the conversation.
About the grade - I sent a message to David Popp of MR, to ask about the grade. The grade is a little over 3% by allowing the climb to continue from Reid Gap all the way to Green Hill where the upper track & mine siding crosses over the track out of Rogers Yard. If the grade stops at the start of the viaduct, the grade is close to 4%. Extending the climb through the passing siding makes things much better.
gaborden

Postby Arseny » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:55 am

gaborden wrote:What are the dimensions of your layout in TT?

It is 90cm*150cm = 3 * 4' 11"

I had to simplify it a little, because I have no more space (if you just recalculate H0-scale Virginian in TT, you'll get 90cm * 180 cm)

So I will have only 4 side-tracks on the Rogers Yard (instead of 6), I will not build steel viaduct near the Hunter Mountain, and I will not build a small mountain with tunnel near Baxter Creek. Also I'll move a factory to the opposite side.
Instead of it I'll build grade crossing at the left side, near Rogers Yard. I love autos! :grin:

Also I'll not build the coal mine (Bigger Mine), but I'll build a gravel pit instead of it, to use Auhagen's "Gravel Pit" TT-scale structure.

Yes, of course, I am sure that long passenger trains can hardly take such curves. But I do not have any passenger cars.
I like short 34-ft and 40-ft freight cars! 8-)
I have big "Mountain" steam locomotive, and it can't take 310-mm curves, so I'll use it on the outer circle only.

Maybe, you should build TT-scale version, instead of H0? :wink:
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans