Arseny's layout

Re: Arseny's layout

Postby railtwister » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 am

Hi Arseny,

It looks like you are making good progress on your layout. I am a big fan of MR's Virginian layout, and I think it's on of their best project layouts ever, especially with the added Turtle Creek and Thin Branch extensions, which are removable, and can be stored beneath the layout. In spite of it's small size, it can actually support some operation, which is unusual for a project layout. I had actually considered trying a version myself (probably in HO), but as usual, lack of space ended that daydream.

I anxiously await your future progress updates!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby TTTerrific » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 am

Arseny,

Great job on the Virginian module!!! Your modeling skills are impressive, indeed! Look'in forward to see how things progress.

As for Crimea--are there any railroads there?

Well, whether it's president Pukin or president Obammy--styles might be different, but they're all politicians, which in my humble opinion means they're all the same--out to get what they can for their there own way-too-big egos. I just wish they could/would leave the rest of us alone. Sigh. :(
TTTerrific

Postby Arseny » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:24 am

Thank you for your kind words! :wave:

TTTerrific wrote:As for Crimea--are there any railroads there?

Nice question!
Really, it is the greatest question about Crimea I ever heard last days.

Yes, of course, there are.

Krym.gif

They are connected with the Ukrainian railways at the north, and also there is ferry going across The Kerch Strait to Russia.
Russia planned to build a railroad and auto bridge across the Kerch Strait; I suppose now they will be in a hurry to build it.

Usually a lot of tourists from Russia and Ukraine travelled to Crimea by train. But I really do not know, if Ukraine will let the trains to pass to Crimea through Ukrainian territory now...
Arseny

Postby Arseny » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:41 am

railtwister wrote:It looks like you are making good progress on your layout. I am a big fan of MR's Virginian layout, and I think it's on of their best project layouts ever, especially with the added Turtle Creek and Thin Branch extensions, which are removable, and can be stored beneath the layout. In spite of it's small size, it can actually support some operation, which is unusual for a project layout. I had actually considered trying a version myself (probably in HO), but as usual, lack of space ended that daydream.

Thank you, Bill!

Yes, you are right, lack of space is a problem.
If you resize H0-scale "Virginian" in TT, you'll get 180*90 cm. I had to simplify it a little, because I have only 150*90 cm.
So I will have only 4 side-tracks on the Rogers Yard (instead of 6), I will not build bridge near the Hunter Mountain, and I will not build a small mountain with tunnel near Baxter Creek. Also I'll move a factory to the opposite side.
Instead of it I'll build grade crossing at the left side, near Rogers Yard. I love autos! :grin:

Also I doubt, whether I'll build the coal mine. Maybe I'll build a gravel pit instead of it, to use Auhagen's "Gravel Pit" structure.

Why should you build H0-version?! Build it in TT! We have SW1200 locomotive, it's ideal for such layout, and we have open hoppers available in TT...
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 pm

I too will give you Crimea for a bottle of vodka. Simferopol will cost you one more bottle ;)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:39 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Simferopol will cost you one more bottle ;)

BTW, my grandfather and grandmother were born just in Simferopol... :wink:
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Arseny wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Simferopol will cost you one more bottle ;)

BTW, my grandfather and grandmother were born just in Simferopol... :wink:

Ok then. We split the second bottle :wave:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Are we through with passing that bottle of vodka around? :lol:
Arseny, that is very tidy woodworking.
And my comment may be a little too late, but it looks like your upper deck may be a bit higher than necessary, which results in a steeper grade for your uphill track, which may limit your train lengths. Based on the NMRA guidelines, and reported experience on US forums, for any normal equipment (not catenary!) the needed clearance (scaled to TT) is 1.89 inches = 48mm above the railhead. If the screws for your uprights have not already been blocked by on-going construction, you might consider flattening things out a bit - you might be very glad in future operation.
Said the man who is still planning his layout...
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby Arseny » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:58 pm

gerhard_k wrote:
And my comment may be a little too late, but it looks like your upper deck may be a bit higher than necessary, which results in a steeper grade for your uphill track, which may limit your train lengths. Based on the NMRA guidelines, and reported experience on US forums, for any normal equipment (not catenary!) the needed clearance (scaled to TT) is 1.89 inches = 48mm above the railhead. If the screws for your uprights have not already been blocked by on-going construction, you might consider flattening things out a bit - you might be very glad in future operation.

Sounds reasonably; but I am afraid that it will be not enough space (in height) to make a tunnel, if I make the uphill track lower.

Ok; I think I'll test it. If a train of 3-4 cars will be able to climb the hill, I think it will be enough for me.
Arseny

Postby krokodil » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:32 am

There was also a very nice old fashion tram in Evpatoria. Is it still there?
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans