Armchair Modeller's Topic

Armchair Modeller's Topic

Postby j p » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:58 am

Hello

I am back after a break.

I am very sorry if anyone found my posts offensive. That was never my intention! I mean it, this is not a sarcasm! I am happy for all TT manufacturers and I buy their products - even if I don't find them perfect.
Regarding my comments on various models - one of the reasons for trying to get people move from N to TT scale was that TT could offer a higher level of detail. Therefore it does not help much if some new TT models come in lower quality than N scale. Some problems may be caused by the low production volume for TT scale, some by the cost. But there were also issues caused only by errors in CAD work. There is no excuse for those except for laziness - especially when many people offer free help! A correct mold costs exactly the same as a wrong mold. One can find many examples of this bad attitude on European models. Remember that the primary market for European manufactures is toy trains, not models. All my comments were meant to be for improvement either of the existing models or to avoid the same mistakes on any future products.

Therefore, once more for those who were feeling offended: Sorry, that was never my intention!

In order to avoid future problems, I have decided:
1. I will not post any comments in any topic except for this one
2. I kindly ask people who do not like me for whatever reason to stay away from this topic - and if they do have a problem, tell me. Complaining to the boss does not help because he does not forward their complaints.
3. If you want my opinion on something, post your question here or pm (e-mail option is better)
4. If you want any help, post here or pm.
5. Your comments on my models are very welcome. It is hard to improve if nobody tells me what is wrong.

Jan
j p

Re: Armchair Modeller's Topic

Postby j p » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:05 am

Here are pictures of one of my recent projects.
This is my first attempt for a 40' PS-1 boxcar made out of Rob M's kit and Lok-n-roll etched parts.
I have learned several things while building this car - and I hope that my next PS-1 will be better.

PS1_11.jpg

PS1_12.jpg
j p

Postby jmass » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Boxcar looks very nice JP, good job.
jmass

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:10 pm

"This is my first attempt for a 40' PS-1 boxcar made out of Rob M's kit and Lok-n-roll etched parts.
I have learned several things while building this car - and I hope that my next PS-1 will be better."

Looks great. I don't see that it needs to be any better :>) Are these parts available so we can make our own copy? ......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:55 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"This is my first attempt for a 40' PS-1 boxcar made out of Rob M's kit and Lok-n-roll etched parts.
I have learned several things while building this car - and I hope that my next PS-1 will be better."

Looks great. I don't see that it needs to be any better :>) Are these parts available so we can make our own copy? ......DaveB

Thank you.
The parts will be available, I am trying to find a skilled professional resin caster (= much faster than me). We should make a new set of etched parts. The set from Lok-n-roll is for AAR 1937 40' boxcar - and 40' PS-1 is slightly longer than that. The "brakeman's platform" is not included with the Lok-n-roll etched parts (I used a "wooden" one instead of steel).
The goal is to make a kit incl. decals. There might be some RTR later too. The etched details are quite time-consuming - which would make a RTR version expensive and very limited.
I think that it is very good for people who like to build their own models. It is easy to assemble. I'll try to modify the rivets. Superior door may be available later too.

Jan
j p

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Lovely job jp and Virginian as well----- life is sweet
richardedmonds

Postby MacG » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:02 am

The PS-1 looks good. The Virginian decaling is perfect or is it pad printing?

For a PS-1 kit are also necessary the etched parts.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby j p » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:12 am

The Virginian lettering is decal.
And yes, the plan is to make an etched set for it.

Here are the pictures showing how to change the couplers on MTB/ZeukeTT tank cars.
1. cut off the little tap
tnk1.jpg

2. MTL 1025 coupler fits in. You can make a hole for the screw to secure it
tnk2.jpg

tnk3.jpg
j p

Postby j p » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:55 pm

We have visted Railway museum in Odense (again). This time we have found some TT!
They have a TT-scale model of DSB's ferry Asa-Thor loaded with some old Zeuke freight cars.
Asa-Thor was a freight ferry on Nyborg - Korsør route, often used for dangerous goods which were not allowed on board of passenger ferries.

Model:
Asathor.jpg

Prototype:
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:05 pm

The following is way off topic, feel free to delete it.

It just dawned on me that when a ferry is getting emptied (like a train rolling out) it will rise as weight reduces. So are the rails that connect land to ferry vertically movable?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion