Armchair Modeller's Topic

Re: Armchair Modeller's Topic

Postby j p » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:34 pm

ConnRiver wrote:Direct printing by inkjet?! Could you point me to links or sites where I could learn more. Thanks much.

-Brian C. / Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Here is a link to the machine used for the printing.
http://www.mimakiusa.com/products/uv/ujf-3042/

Jan
j p

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:46 pm

"the machine used for the printing"

Looks cool but probably too expensive for most modelers? Seems like a manufacturer could take advantage of something like that but most of us probably are going to be sticking to decals :>) ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:02 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"the machine used for the printing"

Looks cool but probably too expensive for most modelers? Seems like a manufacturer could take advantage of something like that but most of us probably are going to be sticking to decals :>) ....DaveB

No, it is not too expensive. Who said that you need to buy it? It costs the same as printing decals on ALPS - and it seems to be more reliable than ALPS. I did not buy the machine, I found a supplier :)
Btw, decals from this are much better than from ALPS, especially when printing in colors.
j p

Postby MacG » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:22 pm

These are all 3D Printer, which produce 3D-parts.
They were looking for a printer that prints on a part. :wink:

A Mimaki UJF-3042 costs about 21.000€ without tax. Really good for small series, or for printing on one piece. A cliche isn't necessary, the big advantage opposite to a pad printer.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Bernd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Here's a guy in the US that does printing. https://www.facebook.com/NetzlofDesign

Lacks a little on his website. Don't know how reliable he is. YMMV!

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:17 pm

He is local (sort of!) to me, I've never met him but I've seen a few of the cars he's done and they're really nice. He posted some pics of a couple here- http://dieseldetailer.proboards.com/thr ... -misc-cars
areibel

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:27 pm

"No, it is not too expensive. Who said that you need to buy it? It costs the same as printing decals on ALPS - and it seems to be more reliable than ALPS. I did not buy the machine, I found a supplier :)
Btw, decals from this are much better than from ALPS, especially when printing in colors."

Someone printing decals on it and mailing them to me would be great, but printing directly on a car would require the car and machine being in the same place:>) If these can be used to print high quality decals at a reasonable price they'll be very useful to the average modeler since the main model railroad decal manufacturer doesn't do TT scale......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:30 am

ctxmf74 wrote:"No, it is not too expensive. Who said that you need to buy it? It costs the same as printing decals on ALPS - and it seems to be more reliable than ALPS. I did not buy the machine, I found a supplier :)
Btw, decals from this are much better than from ALPS, especially when printing in colors."

Someone printing decals on it and mailing them to me would be great, but printing directly on a car would require the car and machine being in the same place:>) If these can be used to print high quality decals at a reasonable price they'll be very useful to the average modeler since the main model railroad decal manufacturer doesn't do TT scale......DaveB

Yes, it can print decals. The ends of the boxcars have decals because the machine cannot print directly on the ends.
j p

Postby j p » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:58 am

Here are some pictures from my "test production".
C&O boxcars will be available for sale. The quantity is very limited.
I have some problems with masking of the NYC car. I wish I had the original kits from Gold Coast...
I painted 3 cars and had to remove the paint from 2 of them again. I can make them with jade ends and roof instead of black. Would that be OK? The evil iphone shows the car as if it was blue. It is jade though.

boxcars_july2016.jpg

This detail is to illustrate what the printer can (and cannot) do. It is readable - if you know what was supposed to be there.

detail_boxcar.jpg
detail_boxcar.jpg (17.49 KiB) Viewed 356 times
j p

Postby MacG » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:55 pm

If the NYC boxcar without black ends and roof is also prototypically, then okay.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion