Anyone Scratchbuilding?

Anyone Scratchbuilding?

Postby TTSMR » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:12 am

I was wondering if any one on TTNut is scratch building.

I did a bunch a while back just to learn and it was fun.

Here is a colloge af several of my first cars. I sold them on eBay whenI was done.

Hopefully I have gotten better!

us cars collage.jpg
TTSMR

Re: Anyone Scratchbuilding?

Postby scaro » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:30 am

Don

Very much so. As there are only a very few (about two ?) Australian outline TT modellers, everything must be scratchbuilt.

Excepting an NZ DC loco for which there is an NZ120 kit. And that was only used in one state. And a wagon or two – a few New Zealand designs were used in Western Australia.

Loco project at the moment is this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28013836@N ... 7/sizes/l/

Gettting the angles on the cab right is a a major headache. Mechanism will either be a LifeLike PA with an SD7 motor and flywheels (due to the narrower flywheels on the SD7 fitting into the hood), or an Atlas VO1000 with added outer axles to convert it to a C-C. I think I lean toward the PA -less fiddling with the trucks, and better pickup. Also, I am not sure having leading unpowered axles on a truck is a good idea. Both will need larger diameter wheels added, which I am getting milled from large diameter Graham Farish coach wheels.

Wagon project is this: http://www.victorianrailways.net/servic ... nn/nn.html This is a broad gauge wagon, but one was converted to narrow gauge and sold to my prototype railway, where it remained an orphan. The body is basically done excepting minor details.

Bogies will be Coastal Engineering ‘Bettendorf’ ones but I’ve had trouble using N gauge wheels in them, they slop around too much in the journal boxes and sit poorly. I do not find that using bearings improves the problem. I think the better solution is to put the wheels on blunt ended steel axles.

Ben
scaro

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:02 am

I am doing some scratchbuilding.

Right now I am working on a few projects ranging from a station, to a turntable, to a body for a 2-6-2 steam engine.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:30 am

Sure. I've got some photos of my projects under the this link viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157. Would love to see some more construction photos of others projects.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby TTSMR » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:42 pm

I have plans for 3 scratch built cars that need to be built and critiqued. These are US prototype based
on early 40 foot rolling stock. The plans were designed and drawn by me.

They include:

1. 40 foot flat car
2. 40 foot bulkhead car
3. 40 foot tank car

These are built using plastic and wood availablle at most hobby shops. Each car should be able to be
built in 1 or 2 weekends for less than $10.00 each minus trucks couplers.

I would like to find one person per car. I have other plans in the works if these look good and are easily
followed. As a 'plans reviewer' for these, you would build the model, photograph the process, as well as
the completed model, and let me know where the instructions need to be changed. Your photos would be
published with your name as a byline.

In return for reviewing the plans, once you have completed the model, I wiil reimburse you the cost of
supplies need to build the model. Free plans + free supplies = free model !

What do you guys think?

Don
TTSMR

Postby CSD » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:13 pm

It sounds like an interesting project. I'll give it a shot if you like.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby TTSMR » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Great!

Once we get thru the module design we can do this.

It would be cool if we could get a few others to do the same. We can run these on the new modules!

Don
TTSMR

Postby CSD » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Nice! That's a good idea.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:29 pm

I agree, that does sound like an interesting idea, the kits, and running them together on a combined module layout.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 pm

I'd give one of those a try as well. But yes, let's get done with module thing....
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion