Anyone in/near Sacramento, or...

Re: Anyone in/near Sacramento, or...

Postby Shipsure » Sat May 24, 2014 10:53 pm

In my business you hear all sorts of reasons for modeling something specific and they are as unique to each of us as the locations. The most, comment that they want to recreate something from their childhood and I think that probably is the central motivator. For me, Ventura, LA and the Sonoma Coast hold the best memories and a lot of my research and info gathering has supported some future layout one or more. My problem is having access to too much information so I get a vapor lock from time to time and will constantly change my mind. For the longest time I was settled on doing some fantasy layout combining all sorts of places that were comforts to me, but I keep getting drawn back into being more prototypical...Occupational Hazard I guess.

I mentioned before that I have this affinity for Surf, which is just up the rail a bit from Santa Barbara. Not sure why, it was pretty much un-remarkable and even to this day is cut off from the rest of California by Vandenburg AFB. I love the photos from the 40's and 50's I've gathered and armed with a site plan and maps, can probably do a pretty good version of it. I guess because it's so exposed to the elements and wind worn, it has the character I like portraying in my modeling. I'm a huge fan of John Steinbeck and I guess the whole man against nature against man theme he is so good at portraying comes through for me in Surf. Funny, how one element of a scene can spark a layout. Now, comes the hard part, telling the story with our models. I may go ahead and commit to working on a TT module of Surf including the Wye. I have a 30"x 8' blank module that might fit on just fine :P

One thing you may consider is to take on this project in small chunks. Instead of trying to make sense or a commitment to a route that may be 50 miles long, pick a two block area and focus in on that. I do that working on my HO Pacific Electric modeling a cut off spur in San Fernando. I think the whole run is no more than 11 miles point to point and even with that short distance, you get bogged down and start making compromises in what you want to achieve. I've settled on the Chatsworth part of the spur...the end of the line so to speak and have been modeling that portion for a bit. http://pacificelectricrailwaymodeler.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2013-06-11T18:16:00-07:00&max-results=7 and hope to continue at some point.

I need to pay attention to finishing the module :P

My college roomate is the curator at the California State Railroad Museum and I will drop him a line to see if they have stuff on Carpenteria stashed away from the normal search engines. I think if Richard can get in there, he may find you some choice stuff.

Cheers

Joe
Shipsure

Postby Marquette » Sat May 24, 2014 11:50 pm

Too *much* information? LOL. That's not an issue I can say I've ever had, even when I was considering the Huntingdon, BC/Sumas, WA-Lynden area which is only an hour-ish drive from here... possibly because my interest has always been grabbed especially by the 1950s. I do however have sufficient information to model the BC Hydro Railway in the 1970s and 1980s, which is what I saw most of as a kid as we lived very near the BCH shops/main yard... I did briefly consider that but I find the 1950s much more interesting in terms of equipment!

Surf sounds interesting! I know I've seen mention of it online somewhere, and I do recall one summer on a road trip to the Bay Area from Carp passing Vandenberg AFB so I've likely even been through or near the place. I also like Steinbeck so I know what you're getting at... based on what I've seen of your work here and on the blog you linked I'd love to see what you can do with a TT module of Surf.

Small chunks... yes. Even if we look at the whole Carpinteria-Santa Barbara section that's less than 20 miles (at least if counting the distance on the 101, it may be more or less by the rail line), and the section of that I'm wanting to model first is less, at a guess about 12-15 miles at most, between Carp and Montecito. And of that, what I first intend to build is indeed about 3 blocks long - the Carpinteria "yard" - the station and the packing houses... and possibly I'll include the little oil storage facility (even if it was gone by 1952... I like tank cars too much not to do). I think that should be a manageable first phase.

I took a look at your blog, and I like what I see there! The PE is nifty enough that one of the three Rail TT boxcar kits I have I want to build up as a PE B-50-14 (the other two being allocated for an SP B-50-14 and either an FdelP B-50-13 or a GTW car... we'll see yet). I've got a fair number of projects filed on the "ready to build" shelf (or nearly so, lacking only decals in most cases), but I keep getting dragged back by research... that really is my favourite part of the hobby, I think...

Thanks for the offer of asking your friend... that would be an immense help and very much appreciated!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Richard-B » Mon May 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Marquette wrote:<snip>Surf sounds interesting! I know I've seen mention of it online somewhere, and I do recall one summer on a road trip to the Bay Area from Carp passing Vandenberg AFB so I've likely even been through or near the place. I also like Steinbeck so I know what you're getting at... based on what I've seen of your work here and on the blog you linked I'd love to see what you can do with a TT module of Surf
Just let me know when the first 1:120 scale orbital missile launch is scheduled... This I want to see!

Must have: Helium cars!!! en-route to Vandenberg
MHAX-1202 TMU-Helium_GCRM-MiamiFL-17Feb2006_PCusden44769.jpg
Helium Car
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Previous

Return to General Discussion