Another Shapeways modeller

Another Shapeways modeller

Postby tebee » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi folks

I'm another person who is doing Model Railroad stuff on Shapeways and I noticed a couple of visitors to my shop there from this forum. Most of my items are either On30 or HOn30 but I have a few things in TTn3 scale which I guess is what is of interest to those here. A little word of warning though - they are done to the British version of TT scale which is 3mm to the foot or 102th scale instead of 120th.

I'm doing a large range of British(Irish) Narrow gauge prototype - there's a few of these on Shapeways now but the full collection is about 20 freight cars and 9 passenger cars. These are currently about 2/3rs finished - then I need to sort out a couple of locos to pull them .

I did a couple of TTn3 versions of some of the HOn30 stuff I'm doing, but these are also done to 3mm scale so might work out OK as standard gauge items in US TT scale if anyone is modeling old-time railroads.

These are the drawings dimensioned in mm

The boxcab diesel
Boxcab ttn3-1.jpg
Last edited by tebee on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tebee

Re: Another Shapeways modeller

Postby tebee » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:13 pm

The caboose
cabose1 20c ttn3.jpg
tebee

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:19 pm

Welcome to the site tebee! Got a link to your shop?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Carsten » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:27 am

Carsten

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks Carsten. tebee, do you have any pictures of produced models? I am also curious with your experiences with the various detail materials.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby tebee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:19 pm

I've been using a different manufacture up till now. My first two Shapeways orders are currently in the post on their way to me so should be here soon, I'll show you the results when I get them.

I too have been having lots of problems with models being rejected. It would appear that the check is manually done so can depend to a certain extent on the whim of the operator. I've had models rejected for features that have passed(and been printed!) on other models.

At the moment I'm sticking to the WSF material, although it does have a surface roughness. I am however about to do some N gauge heavyweight coaches, I'm going to try doing the underframe for these in Black Strong and Flexible and the bodies in transparent detail.

Incidentally would there be a call for a TT version of these ?

Tom
tebee

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:52 pm

tebee wrote:It would appear that the check is manually done so can depend to a certain extent on the whim of the operator. I've had models rejected for features that have passed(and been printed!) on other models.

Seriously - I've had parts rejected and then uploaded the EXACT SAME file and it had no issues :wall:

tebee wrote:heavyweight coaches..........Incidentally would there be a call for a TT version of these?

A little more detail about the specific coaches would help.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby tebee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:19 am

I can't be too specific as we've not actually decided yet!

The thought to do these arose from a conversation from a friend who had just bought one of the new Bachmann 4-6-0. He was bemoaning that the only passenger cars that looked OK behind it where the Bachmann 65ft heavyweights which are very old models and not the most realistic. The other cars were either old timers or the 85ft heavyweights that struggled round his curves.

So what we are talking about doing is is some 75ft generic cars - something similar to the old Walthers HO range We are thinking about coach, combine and diner to start , maybe a Pullman as well and a 60ft head-end car in baggage and RPO versions. All to be done with both monitor and arch roofs, possibly with/without air con.

Now its fairly trivial to do 1:120 versions of these as well as the 1:160 but as I'm not a TT modeler I don't know if anything similar exists already or even if there is any call for these. To use the Black it probably going to be necessary to do these in a batch to get a sensible price, something in the same region as your freight cars so I would only go ahead if there was at least a little interest.

The N gauge cars are still 2 projects away so I'll come on here and give more details when I've firmed them up a bit. The main problem I have with them is getting a realistic step - the 0.7 mm thickness is just a bit too much in this scale.

Tom
tebee

Postby scaro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:05 am

The old Bachmann 60’ coaches/combines - 65’ over coupler faces? - are UP, SOO or C&NW prototypes. http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/protopass1.htm

I am kind of fond of them. I do not think they are the most realistic though those with window glazing with ‘passengers’ printed on are the worst. I think if the Bach Mann would do them in vaguely correct paint schemes they’d appear a bit better. Even so, I think there’s an element of compression in the design - the windows don’t look exactly right, too high and narrow, probably because they decided to group them in pairs to ‘suggest’ that these cars - which are for clearly local or suburban service - might stand in for Pullmans on long distance trains. I think we’ve grown used to seeing them in all sorts of unlikely paint schemes like GN ‘Empire Builder’ which doesn't do them any favours - makes them look even more like toys.

I think they are quite correct behind the Bachmann 4-6-0. The monitor roof version of a 60’ coach has I believe been available in TT from Possum Valley but not sure if he is doing them now. In TT, it might be nice to see versions with both monitor and Harriman (round) roofs to add a bit of variety. http://www.wheelsotime.com/60-ft-harriman-coach/

As for 75’ versions, no I do not think they’ve ever been done in TT but I cannot be 100% sure. Certainly none easily available at the moment! There are the German group’s streamlined cars which are ‘stretched’ Rowa designs I think (?) whether by design or coincidence they end up vaguely similar to the Model Power 75’ cars in N - not sure if these are available and if they are , exchange rate issues probably rule them out if you're in the US.

If you wanted to do something distinctive, there’s always the Stillwells though whether they were much used except by Erie/E-L and the Susquehanna, I cannot say.

Ben
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Elmer "Possum valley models" made 60 foot and 80 foot heavyweights based on the old craftsman and jewell models. These are not produced anymore but have been offered again if there was enough interest. Anything new is very very welcome with coaches as some of us still are living in the old steam days so would be interested in those 60 foot harriman coaches as well
richardedmonds

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models