Another Shapeways modeller

Re: Another Shapeways modeller

Postby tebee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Here is a not very good photo of the HOn30 version of the Boxcab - I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow in daylight, there's not really enough depth of field in this one.

The roughish surface is visible. It has good definition of all the small details on the end but less so on the side . Overall I'm happy with it but not ecstatic.

bc1.jpg
tebee

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 am

tebee wrote:It has good definition of all the small details on the end but less so on the side

It's all about which way the laser is going across the surface (I believe the orientation in the printing machine is defined by the operator). I have some parts in detail material which have injection molding like smoothness on some sides (which also helps the details stand out).
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby tebee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:43 am

There are other machines which give better results than the ones Shapeways uses. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone offering a Shapeways type service with them.

To buy the machine is in the region of $12,000 and it's a smaller and much slower machine then they use. My back of an envelope calculation is you could produce 50 models a day max off it running 24/7.

You have to reckon in a years time that machine will be virtually worthless as there will be something better by then, so that's a fair sum per model to have to write off before you have to start thinking about material costs, operator time, electricity etc

So for the moment I'm sticking with Shapeways.
tebee

Postby Arseny » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:05 am

tebee wrote:There are other machines which give better results than the ones Shapeways uses. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone offering a Shapeways type service with them.

http://i.materialise.com/
Arseny

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:39 am

i imagine there's a bit of a market for some kind of spray coating to improve the surface of this material, as there seems to be a lot of people using it, and not just in model railways.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 am

iMaterialize offers some material alternatives that shapeways doesn't. But, their software is crap - no matter what I upload, it tells me the dimensions of my model are 0.2 X 0.2 X 0.1 inches. Which is obviously WAY wrong.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:02 am

I've found some 3D-models of cars somewhere in the Internet, and uploaded it there.
It was not such an error and it displayed the dimensions well...

BTW, there are some models of Russian automobiles of 1930s - 1940s. GAZ-M1 (it's almost copy of 1936 Ford Model B Sedan), ZiS-110 (looks like 1941 or 1942 Packard 180) and some else.
Is it interesting for you? If yes, I can send it to you to refine and modify it for Shapeways...

(As for me, I have no 3D-software yet and can't work with it. :( )
Arseny

Postby Marquette » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:04 am

Arseny: YES!

Tebee: the coaches, even a generic style with Harriman roof, could be of interest; could be used as a basis for maintenance-of-way equipment for those modelling later years!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Zs12 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:26 am

Arseny wrote:BTW, there are some models of Russian automobiles of 1930s - 1940s. ...
Is it interesting for you? If yes, I can send it to you to refine and modify it for Shapeways ...

It is! A GAZ M-1 and/or 1936 Ford would be great! What file type they're?

> lüTTe
Zs12

Postby Arseny » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:15 pm

lüTTe wrote:
Arseny wrote:BTW, there are some models of Russian automobiles of 1930s - 1940s. ...
Is it interesting for you? If yes, I can send it to you to refine and modify it for Shapeways ...

It is! A GAZ M-1 and/or 1936 Ford would be great! What file type they're?

> lüTTe

They are OBJ and Maya type.

But I checked it and discovered it is not GAZ M-1 but it seems to be GAZ-11-73 - modernized 6-cylinders version with the different "face".

I'll upload it in a few minutes
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models