AstroGoat760's Scratchbuilt Rolling Stock Fleet.

AstroGoat760's Scratchbuilt Rolling Stock Fleet.

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:00 pm

I decided to proceed with my second scratch-built car while the first (a Pickle Vat car) is partly completed. This car makes use of the car sides and ends obtained from Coastal Engineering. This one will use the blank double door sides, to improve my experience and skills before I try to use the Canadian Pacific printed Jewel sides. (That will likely be project #4).

Here are a pair of photos showing off the frame progress.
ImageImage
Last edited by AstroGoat760 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: AngrySailor's 40' Boxcar Construction Photos

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:33 pm

Here is more progress on the car:
I need to wait for the glue to set before sanding down the ends of the car to accommodate the end parts. As I dislike having to either sand or chemically treat the affected areas to get the Zap-a-Gap off of my hands, I will wait to attach the ends for while.

Frame and shell, both with re-enforcing sections of wood to help with assembly.
ImageImage

Mated frame and shell:
ImageImage
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:48 pm

Well, I couldn't keep my hands off the car, and now I have some Zap glue to remove from my hands.....

I decided to start on car #3, to try to hammer out some of the issues that came up with the assembly of car #2. Aside from two small gaps, the third car so far is turning out great, although with the end panels as they are, there is a serious clash with the wood stock roofing. I think I will make an order from Gold Coast to get the roof section for the CP car (now pushed back to car #10). As with car #1 (The Pickle Vat car), the couplers on these cars will be Kadee #713, and trucks by PVM.

Cars #2 (top) and #3 (bottom) from the underside. Car #3's frame has not yet been built.

Cars #2 (top) and #3 (bottom) from the topside, hard to tell them apart from above, huh?

Cars #2 (top) and #3 (bottom) from the side, car #2 is a double door boxcar, and #3 is a single door boxcar.

Car #3's body being assembled:
ImageImage

Now if you will excuse me, I have some dried super glue that I need to get off of my hands..... :oops:
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Possum Valley has resin roof panels, if he has them in stock. They're nice, you build the box with a piece of flat stock for the roof then glue it down.
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm

areibel wrote:Possum Valley has resin roof panels, if he has them in stock. They're nice, you build the box with a piece of flat stock for the roof then glue it down.

No offense against Elmer and Possum Valley, but the reason that I said that I was going to use a Gold Coast roof part for the CP car is that I know that the part will match perfectly with the sides, as the sides on the Jewel sides and the Gold Coast steel boxcar are identical in size, and almost identical in detail (the GC parts have finer detail than the Jewel parts, and the Jewel casting is minus a ladder, while the GC casting has the ladder cast into the part.), aside from the double door boxcar parts, that is a nice thing of having a variety of cars and parts at one's use. Basically I am just going with what I know right now. (And I need to figure out how many trucks I need to order from PVM, when I place the truck order, I will ask about the roof parts.)

I may experiment with the PVM roof parts at a later time, but I am wanting to build the CP car soon, and I am going to go with what I know from experience for that car. I still have 5 other side pairs and 2 resin car end sets and a metal set that can be experimented with, though.

Here are some photos of the Gold Coast car with the Jewel Canadian Pacific side panels. Also visible in the second photo is some of the dried Zap-a-Gap on my hand....
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:05 am

I look forward to seeing where these builds go!

Though I just noticed... that's a really bizarre road number on the CP boxcar!

May I make a small suggestion? Canadian boxcars had stirrups under the end ladders too, not just the side ladders; they're a small detail, but adding those, and removing the little tab at the end of the sides makes the car instantly distinguishable from American cars, and so makes for a nice visual difference amongst otherwise (nearly) identical cars! I've got some photos, if you're interested.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Photos of the prototype would be nice indeed.

I do not have many photos of Canadian equipment, aside from the locomotives at Steamtown, USA in Scranton, PA. (I have dozens of photos of CN 4-6-4T #47, and I intend on making a running model of her, but before I start, I will go back to see her and remember to bring with a long enough tape measure and my new camera.)

I may get into more details on the cars at a later time. As far as the road number on the boxcar is concerned, it matters little to me. If I was a rivet counter, I don't think the CP sides would pass due to the defects in the ink stamped graphics, and a slight warp at the top of one of the side panels.
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Here's just a couple of photos of a CN 1937 AAR car (the one Gold Coast's car represents) - I've only got these two on my flashmem stick. I'll send you more when I'm back at my home box, CN and CP.

CN 479972.jpg

Here's a full-on side view. Compare this to the model, and notice that the model has tabs at the bottom corners, which aren't present on the car in the photo; this was one of the most significant (as in, most obvious to the eye) differences between Canadian and American cars of this type.

CN 479972 - 2.jpg

And here's an end view, which if you compare with the photo, you'll notice the lack of poling pockets in the photo, and the stirrup under the end ladder - something that was required on all Canadian cars.

The "conversion" is really quick - removing the tabs and poling pockets took me about 15 minutes, now I just need to add the stirrups to the sides and ends (removing the corner tabs on the sides requires removing the cast-on stirrups), that should likewise take about 15 minutes. So a quick half-hour's work brings about a car that's optically different (and pretty close to bang-on prototypical and meeting Canadian requirements!)

The "bizarreness" I mentioned about the CP number was the fact that it's seven digits - I'd never seen a 7-digit number before! As for the printing flaws in the lettering, some weathering can hide that well enough! :)
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:25 pm

Owing to both my poor skills at weathering and the age of the CP sides, I have no intentions to add or remove paint from the old Jewel parts.
Thanks for the photos of the Canadian prototype cars! Adding stirrups will wait until I have a place of my own and can have cars on display instead of in boxes. (Considering that I have just over a year left in the Navy, unless the medical problems I currently have get repaired enough to allow me to go back to sea, since I have almost 8 years in, if I can continue on with my career, as I am about 40% of my way to retirement.)
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Well, I have not been able to keep my hands off of the stash of parts again.

Introducing car #4, another single door boxcar, this time the end is formed from 1/8" thick basswood. It looks a little bland for now, but it blends in with both the roof stock and the sides quite well.
Car #4

From Left to Right: Car 2, Car 3, Car4:

From Left to Right: Car 4, Car 2, Car 3:

From Left to Right: Car 4, Car 2, Car 3:
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models