AstroGoat760's Scratchbuilt Rolling Stock Fleet.

Re: AngrySailor's 40' Boxcar Construction Photos

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Haggis !*$%@ man! Do I need to add you to the manufacturer links or what?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Haggis !*$%@ man! Do I need to add you to the manufacturer links or what?
:lol:

I have the parts (well, most of them.....), and the tools, so why not? I do need to buy more trucks.

I do plan on trying to make resin castings eventually of different locos, scenery, cars and such, so eventually I hope to be added to the manufacturer links some day.

Maybe I should mention that car #5's frame is under construction, an 8 wheel crane car. Building the cab and making it swivel will be easy, making the boom will take some time.....

Car #6 will be a "match car" for the crane car.

Any suggestions for what type of car that #7 and #8 should be?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Here is car #7, another 40' boxcar, this time with the roof and ends from Gold Coast. The frame is a tad too wide with the older side panels, so a wooden frame will be fabricated to fit, and the purchased frames used on other cars.

I am going to perfect this car before the CP sides are used, mainly because all the sides pairs I have but one are recasts of Jewel parts, and the CP sides are actual Jewel Parts.

ImageImage
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Well, I figured that I got enough experience with the last boxcar to make the CP car right. And... I think it turned out pretty good so far.

All that is left is to paint the ends and roof, add couplers, trucks, and ladders.

The Jewel sides had some defects in them, I tried to smooth out the ends as good as possible, but I did not want to remove too much material.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
AstroGoat760

Re: AngrySailor's Scratchbuilt Rolling Stock Fleet.

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Well, I have gotten back into building cars again. I have some of the "parts bin" from before, most of the parts, including all of my extra trucks and couplers are in storage with family in Georgia at present time.

Right now, for those that are not aware, I have a lot of free time, as I was fired from Wal-Mart for having to take time out to have a tumor removed a the Fargo, ND Veteran's Hospital. With the prospects of more surgeries in the next few months, my doctor has refused to sign off on me trying to find work that suits my abilities and has recommended that I try to remain at a low output level for now, as they are a bit baffled with the biopsy of the tumor. All I have with me right now for my fleet is my HP 2-8-2, HP 0-8-0, Lindsey, my Lindsay 0-4-0, Ernie and Bert, my HP E-7 A/B, a BTTB diesel 4M32 (I know the name is differet, but I do not have the keys for it, and my HP Challenger.

So I will build some cars to go along with them, to run when I get some track back up here.

The first of the new cars is a simple gondola, made from a strip of basswood and strip styrene plastic. I plan on adding a weight to the car later, and a load to cover the weight. I do plan on adding some wire grab irons and such as well too, when I can find proper wire (hard to do around here).

I am not looking to make perfect cars right now, just workable ones that will help keep me occupied.

Here is an overhead view of the frame with the cut strips for the sides.

Here is the underside of the frame plate, showing the center strip used for providing a strong connection for the coupler box and eventual bolsters for the trucks. (Different trucks take different bolster heights.)

Here is the car with the sides added. I have since applied some filler putty to fill in the seam between the sides and the frame.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 05, 2012 11:46 pm

:thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Sun May 06, 2012 6:10 am

Great stuff angry, I am sorry to hear that you are having some problems and I hope that you get good news soon. In the meantime I reckon that some TT therapy will work wonders for you. Keep up the good work which is encouraging me to get on with something as well
richardedmonds

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:40 pm

richardedmonds wrote: TT therapy

I love it! Keeps me from going over the fine line between being mentally disturbed and insanity.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:06 am

Does anyone know where I can find dimensions (and drawings, if possible) for the following:

Well Cars, preferably of the 3-to-5 car articulated type.
Intermodal Container, full length
Intermodal Container, half length
Intermodal tank container

I want to try my hand at modeling more modern day equipment, and the containers themselves could lend to be for both rail and road models, plus for construction as well.
AstroGoat760

Postby railtwister » Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 am

Seems like parts for a well car could be another project for Rob and his amazing machine (CNC Mill). The tricky part would be making the open grille work and walkways, which would be best if you could have them chemically etched.

I'm sure plans were published at some time or other in either Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman, but I'm not sure when...

Bill in FL
railtwister

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models