CaTT's and Angry Sailor's Module Construction Photos

CaTT's and Angry Sailor's Module Construction Photos

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:15 pm

I figured now is a good time to get a thread started of our progress on our modules.

Here is my work so far.....

Most of the work on the platform for the larger section above is almost complete, the smaller, is simply waiting for some additional wood screws and the holes drilled for wire runs.
The larger section is 4'x6' and is made of 1"x3"s and 11/32" plywood, with finishing nails and carpentry glue.
Below is a splice joint made to use 3 short scrap sections and turn them into one long section of wood via wood glue and nails.
The smaller section below is 4'x2' and is comprised of the same materials, and is only awaiting wire run holes and wood screws.
Combined, they will make up a single 4'x8' layout that can be added onto by simply adding sections on in between.

The smaller section will be a simple 180' module, and the other can be used as a second 180' with some additional track added as well, the plans for the 4'x6' are not complete yet.
Last edited by AstroGoat760 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Module Construction Photos

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:24 pm

Im wondering if 4x6 is too big. Mainly im worried about what happens to scenery, etc due to the flexing such a large piece could experience while being moved.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TTSMR » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:04 am

How are you going to protect the edges of the foam board?

I am presuming you are mounting the foam board to the top of the plywood rather then dropping it in between the 1x3 sides and ends.

TTSMR

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:58 pm

The 4'x6' is mainly going to be "the rest of the layout" that the 4'x2' is going to be a part of, so there is not just a 180' module not just sitting alone.
It will be constructed as to allow the 180' to be linked to it, and as such, could feasibly be used to act as a second 180' module, should a second one not be available and either myself and/or Nicholle able to make it to the convention in person.

The 4'x2' is a "shippable module" whereas the 4'x6' is only going to be transported either in the back end of Nicholle's F-150 (which has one of those bed covers that covers the bed up and is hinged so it can act like a huge trunk.) or in my Aerostar.

The framing has made the platform section rather rigid, so flexing is almost a non-concern. (My American Flyer/Marx/Lionel layout is even less likely to flex, as it is made of 3/4" plywood and 2"x4"s for framing members, so the new modules are slightly de-rated versions of my older layouts.)

The foamcore is to be applied to the top of the plywood, and as such, there will be some trim sections added to the facings of the non-connecting sides of the module to finish the appearance of the modules, and yet not interfere with the ability to link modules.
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Before we get to far into construction, we should decide what the attachment between modules is so that rigid materials are linked. Where the bolts or clamps, etc go will determine a lot in the construction of the base and scenery. Sailors above construction is fine, however; thickness of the foam installed will determine where the wood member aligns with its neighbor. Some kind of basic side profile is needed. I know that someone posted something in the other thread, is that what we're going with?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:24 pm

It is possible to modify C-clamps to provide a longer attachment point that can accommodate varied depths of varied materials.

Some of the older style wooden shop clamps would work well to attach varied module sizes, so something like that could work.

As the standard is to provide uniform track level height, pressure required to join modules does not need to be all that great.

I am trying to at least some of the track-work for both sections done to bring to a train show at the end of the month, so at the risk of sounding like a jerk, I do not intend on placing a "hold" on the construction of the sections. I can make attachments to the section(s) to allow for attachment of other module designs.

I am pretty sure that there are many different methods of layout construction, I am using the method that I like best, I am sure that other designs will suit other people's tastes, skills, and available supplies better.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:57 pm

Here is some photos of the 4'x2' 180' module section with the foam core applied, and the track laid in place to line things up.

The trackwork will only consist of the two 180' curves and the associated straight sections to line up the curves and short straight sections to line up between 90' sections of the section.

Once the trackwork is laid out a little more, the topography of the section near the "river" will be worked out, and a roadway installed.
Merlin the Third decided to take a stroll on the section.
AstroGoat760

Postby TTSMR » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:11 pm

<<<Merlin the Third decided to take a stroll on the section.>>>

Umm...I dont think he's TT scale dude!

TTSMR

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:16 pm

TTSMR wrote:<<<Merlin the Third decided to take a stroll on the section.>>>

:lol:

Pictures of track being laid down make me happy.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:18 am

TTSMR wrote:<<<Merlin the Third decided to take a stroll on the section.>>>

Well, he is only 2 months old right now, and is trying to take after his great-grandfather, Rat Bastard IV, who is a spitting image of Rat Bastard I, who used to call our O-gauge layout home.
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans