CaTT's and Angry Sailor's Module Construction Photos

Re: Angry Sailor's Module Construction Photos

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:23 am

I am going to uproot the bridge to replace and realign the bridge span with the inner loop versus the outer loop. Using 2 layers of 1/16" basswood was not a good idea: Sasha decided to be affectionate while I was working on the 180' module, and she put her paw though the main span.

The culvert span is made of 3/16" plywood, so it has plenty of strength.

As annoyingly sweet as that little girl can get, I am sure she pointed out a flaw in that bridge. If a 6lb. cat would cause severe damage to the bridge, I doubt that it would hold up to movement and operation.

Looks like a redesign is going to have to take place before the bridge is fixed....
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:45 pm

A new 180' module is in the works now, this one will be a straightaway module with one branch-type siding. Photos to follow.
AstroGoat760

Postby Petercat » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:32 pm

I have to comment on including a UFO in your module.
Do it.
Other RR modelers think that we TTrs are kind of weird, anyway, so we might as well go with the perception.
Can we make that a special rule or standard for TT modules? In order to qualify, a module must have something weird or whimsical about it. Maybe each module must have an easter egg?
Since I'm building a German layout, I might include a Pigallee...
But a flying saucer would be better.
Seriously, though, a while back I read a book about someone who found an old, abandoned WWII StUg in the woods. The thing was made of Dwarven steel, and was haunted. I am going to include one buried in the woods on my layout.
"It's Peter, not Pete. Pete sounds like a bird fart.
Petercat

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Petercat wrote:I have to comment on including a UFO in your module.
Do it.
Other RR modelers think that we TTrs are kind of weird, anyway, so we might as well go with the perception.
Can we make that a special rule or standard for TT modules? In order to qualify, a module must have something weird or whimsical about it. Maybe each module must have an easter egg?
Since I'm building a German layout, I might include a Pigallee...
But a flying saucer would be better.
Seriously, though, a while back I read a book about someone who found an old, abandoned WWII StUg in the woods. The thing was made of Dwarven steel, and was haunted. I am going to include one buried in the woods on my layout.

I have seen some whimsical layouts before. The O-gauge layout at the Choo Choo Barn in Strasburg, PA (just down the road from the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, and the Strasburg Railroad) is chock-filled with little vignettes, to include goldfish in "lakes" on the layout.

Those little touches help make a layout memorable, but if every module/layout is weird, people might not take TT seriously.
AstroGoat760

Postby LVG1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Petercat wrote:I have to comment on including a UFO in your module.
Do it.

The exhibition layout of the modell railroad club, which I'm a member of, has a flying saucer on it. And, of cause, this layout is TT scale. :grin:
This layout has a lot of eye candies—a couple of lovers in action, for instance. :oops:

AngrySailor302 wrote:I have seen some whimsical layouts before. The O-gauge layout at the Choo Choo Barn in Strasburg, PA (just down the road from the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, and the Strasburg Railroad) is chock-filled with little vignettes, to include goldfish in "lakes" on the layout.

On the same layout we tried to have some tiny living fishes in the lake during one exhibition. But they didn't survive. After few hours they swam upside down. :(
We haven't found out what the problem was. May be, there was not enough oxygen in the water. Or there was something poisonous in the water cycle. :think:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:07 pm

LVG1 wrote:On the same layout we tried to have some tiny living fishes in the lake during one exhibition. But they didn't survive. After few hours they swam upside down. :(
We haven't found out what the problem was. May be, there was not enough oxygen in the water. Or there was something poisonous in the water cycle. :think:

There is a strong chance that the water was not properly treated, and likely became too warm to allow the fish to live.
AstroGoat760

Postby Petercat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:
LVG1 wrote:On the same layout we tried to have some tiny living fishes in the lake during one exhibition. But they didn't survive. After few hours they swam upside down. :(

There is a strong chance that the water was not properly treated, and likely became too warm to allow the fish to live.

It is likely that there was something poisonous in the materials used to construct or finish the lake. Acrylic paints, for example, can be toxic to fish.
"It's Peter, not Pete. Pete sounds like a bird fart.
Petercat

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 am

Here are some photos of the five modules that we have thus far, two of them are 2' x 2' with two 90 degree turns of Tillig track the inner track is 353mm and the outer is 396mm, two that are 4' x 2' with a 90 degree turn in them with extensions of straight track to allow for more scenery on the module (often referred to as "J-Modules"), and the final is a 4' x 2' with two straight mainlines on them.

The old 4' x 6' module platform was cut down to make four of the modules (two 4' x 2's and two 2' x 2's).

Waiting for the wood glue to set after ripping the 4' x 6' module into more manageable hunks:

Getting some "help" from Heidi the kitten (the canned goods were used to apply weight while glue dried):

Here is the underlay used to shape the terrain of the Sonoran Desert module:

My original intention was to use papier mache, but with the humidity as it is, the work ended up sagging greatly before it would even set-up. So, I bought all of the rolls of Woodland Scenics plaster-cloth that the local Hobby Lobby carried in a gambit to get the work done faster, and it paid off!

First bit of work with the plaster cloth:

The remnants of the papier mache can be seen between the tracks on the Sonoran Desert module, the only place that I left it, and it was still not set fully after almost a week! The plaster-cloth set-up within a half hour, but did not fully cure for about 3 days, which hindered the application of a base coat of paint and scenic supplies.

And some paint...
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:25 am

I am looking for suggestions for themes/ideas for additional modules, as well as the current 90 degree modules and the straightaway module.

The track-work on the "Crystal Lake" J-module is being refitted with a switch and a 310mm curve, which will yield three mainlines on some of the modules, which will allow for passing, and possible space to display trains as well. One of the 90 degree modules will also receive a 310mm inner loop as well, so shall at least two of the 4'x2' modules, too.

We are contemplating a residential/Elm Street module, and a snowy module (quite likely the 2 track 90 module, but we are open to having a 4'x2' module get winterized). With two more 4'x2' modules being built, that gives us 5 modules that need landscaping and themes. (Two 2'x2' 90 degree modules and three 4'x2' straightaway modules).

Suggestions for locales/regions to model are also desired as well.

In planning in a few months from now are to be two more modules as well, one of which will be a yard (likely 3'x4' in size) and the other as possible display area, to "showcase" trains much like how we did at the last two train shows, but with actual planning ahead for a change as to where particular items go, and with placard photos as well.

Plans are as well for trains to be made up to match the modules for pictures and such, such as SP for the Sonoran Desert module. (And possibly SOO Line for the Snowy Module).
AstroGoat760

Postby Arseny » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:I am looking for suggestions for themes/ideas for additional modules

Try to build "Bering Strait crossing" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bering_Strait_crossing ) - a hypothetical bridge or tunnel between the Chukotka (Russia) and Alaska.
If you build it, you can use Russian railroad stuff on your layout. :wink:
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans