CaTT's and Angry Sailor's Module Construction Photos

Re: Angry Sailor's Module Construction Photos

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Dude, be happy that your girl is into modeling. Appease her. If she wants a UFO, give it to her. Use fishing line to hang it - that's what I've always done with model planes. As for the size, I'm not sure there are any schematics on UFOs and I guess they could be as small as a baseball or as big as a city. So, it's up to you (or her) how big you make it.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:45 pm

I am not sure if using fishing line would work all that well for a module, as the support structure would be much larger than if there was a wire leading up to the model, or if said model was grounded either by either an actual landing or a crash landing. (Perhaps a tow truck called in for a crashed UFO).

I just am not sure how well that would gell over for a module scene, but then again, if done right, it would make the layout a little more memorable for visitors.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Hmmm, I wasn't thinking of a module. On a set piece, hanging off the ceiling would was my thought. For a module, I think a very thin plexi rod would work well if the UFO needs to be in the air. If it's crashed or something like that then obviously just "throw" it in the layout / module.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:25 pm

I have solutions for all your problems! ;)

1) Size. Make it compatible with one of the crop circles.

2) Mounting. Get a thick clear acrylic rod, mount the UFO at the top, light the rod up with with a LED (or 4)! If you get a tube instead of the rod you can stick a figure halfway up and make it an abduction in progress!

Of course, having a UFO crash scene would work too, but not as much fun.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby TTSMR » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:42 pm

No one knows what a real extra terrestrial UFO looks like so just make something up that looks good.

Get 2 magnets and mount one on the bottom of the craft. Mount the other magnet under the crop circle. Make sure both north poles or both south poles face each other.

Attach 3 very thin strings around the sides of the space craft and anchor these to the layout.

The magnets will repel away from each other pushing the craft into the air as tho it were levitating. The strings will keep the craft from flying off to the side or flipping upside down.

(No I did NOT work in Area 51 and no I did NOT work reverse engineering the propulsion system of the space craft that we did NOT have...)

UFO-12-june.gif
UFO-12-june.gif (24.2 KiB) Viewed 441 times
TTSMR

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:04 pm

The magnet idea seems pretty good.

As I live in base housing, and have ZERO desire to stay in the area any longer than I have to, building a permanent layout is unfeasible at this time. After my medical situation gets stabilized or corrected, I will either be transferring or medically discharged, so focusing on portable layouts is key.

I was thinking of using a post of some kind to allow for wiring for lighting of the saucer, I think around 5-6" wide would be sufficient, I do not think a city sized UFO would be practical.

Finishing the bridge on the 180' module is the first priority, though.
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Perhaps this will help?
1010.jpg
1010.jpg (20.91 KiB) Viewed 416 times

Its in HO and made by Busch. This is the link I found it at: http://www.euromodeltrains.com/cgi-bin/ ... oup=scenes
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:28 am

Using a post is doable as long as you mask it within "smoke" / saucer exhaust or as a tree.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Here are the main beams for the bridge that has been in the works for a while for the 180' module. Now I just need to find where we put the box of Tillig track at.....

The red-orange paint was decided to be too ugly by Nicholle to continue painting, so it will likely be finished with Caboose Red, mainly as it is the color that we have in the house right now that would work, and is not in short supply.
ImageImageImage
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:21 am

Here are those bridge sections in place on the 180' module: I have a LOT of sections of basswood to make up the rest of the bridge, I just need to get a small miter box to make the cut with. I have a large miter saw, but that is 1.) overkill, 2.) likely to make the sections of basswood crack, and 3.) a bad idea for me to use right now.

Nicholle and I are talking about going to Rhode Island to get more supplies for the layout this weekend. A miter box will be among those supplies...

ImageImage
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans