AstroGoat760's First Scratchbuilt Steam Loco Project

Wheel Configuration to make

Poll ended at Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:39 am

4-2-0 (i.e. Pioneer)
43%
4-2-4 (i.e. CP Huntington)
57%
x-2-x (Other, must post photo of example)
No votes

Total votes : 7

AstroGoat760's First Scratchbuilt Steam Loco Project

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:39 am

Nicholle (CaTTwoman281) and I have been doing some talking about this, and we both agree that this is an idea whose time has come: we are going to build our first scratch-built steam locomotive.

Construction will largely be brass with some styrene here and there.

Right now we have narrowed it down to two wheel configurations: 4-2-0 and 4-2-4T.
The reason for the single driving wheel is simple: we recently bought a 7 wheel pack of Rokal driving wheels, of which only 6 will be used, the 7th will be in part of a steam engine repair yard scene. We have decided that we will use 4 of those drivers at a later time to make a 4-4-0, leaving two to be used. (We could make an engine with 6 driving wheels, but the middle set would have to be filed down to become "blind" to readily fit narrow radii turns, and I do not have a lathe at this time.)

As we are undecided at this point, we figured that we would put the decision up to a vote. If anyone can come up with a viable 3rd choice, I would be willing to hear it, but a photo of a prototype locomotive would have to be provided.

Keep in mind, this will not be a precise model of a particular locomotive, as I am sure that the drivers will not be the exact size of whatever prototype will be copied. Rivets will be there, as well as a decent amount of detail as well. The idea is to get our feet wet in building a brass model, while honing our skills down before we attempt larger and grander locomotives.

The likely biggest difference between the model and the real thing will be that the model will use Kadee knuckle couplers, whereas early models like the 4-2-0 and 4-2-4 used link-and-pin, which I have no intention of copying, solely out of desire for automatic coupling and uncoupling, and compatibility with the rest of the fleet. (Plus it would be a pain in the Haggis to use)

I am aware that a single driving axle engine will be rather weak, I plan on using Bullfrog Snot on the driving wheels for added traction. Electrical pickup will be on all wheel sets, including drivers.

To go along with the engine, a few mid 1800's cars will have to be made to match, but those would be for a later project.

The poll will end at the end of the month, at which time more research into the prototype will commence, and work will begin. Photos to be posted as major milestones are reached.

Below are some photos of each configuration, both of which are still extant.

4-2-0 (Pioneer, 1837)

4-2-4 (C.P. Huntington, 1863)
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Angry Sailor's First Scratchbuilt Steam Loco Project

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:04 am

I would start with the easiest one, so Pioneer gets my vote.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:11 am

BTTB Fan wrote:I would start with the easiest one, so Pioneer gets my vote.

Actually, they are about the same for difficulty, as the Pioneer has a four-wheel tender, of which the truck has to be specially made for it. I will see if I can find a decent sized photo of the Pioneer 4-2-0 with it's tender (There was also a 2-2-2 Pioneer as well....)

Also, I do not see your vote for the 4-2-0 on the poll.
AstroGoat760

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:11 am

Mine is the single vote for the Pioneer registered at this time. My thinking is that a separate tender would be easier to make (possibly by adapting an existing tender model?). Do you have any pictures of Pioneer tender?
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:01 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:Mine is the single vote for the Pioneer registered at this time. My thinking is that a separate tender would be easier to make (possibly by adapting an existing tender model?). Do you have any pictures of Pioneer tender?

The only half-way decent photo I can find that shows a profile view is of an old HO scale Kemtron model from the 1950's. The other two photos I have found do not show it well in profile, or it is obscured by surrounding items.

It would be easier to build the rear truck for the 4-2-4, as a kit truck could be used, whereas the 4-2-0 will need a custom made truck done up for it.

Overall, both seem like they will be roughly on-par with each other for difficulty and supplies needed. The 4-2-4 has the advantage of having a single frame, while the 4-2-0 has a slightly less complex stack.
AstroGoat760

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:22 pm

I think the pioneer would be a good choice for no other reason than it looks strange, and that is a good enough reason to try to build it. My wife thinks anyone who likes model trains are strange anyway so lets prove her right. I think the Rokal wheels might look a bit on the heavy side though.
richardedmonds

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 pm

richardedmonds wrote:I think the pioneer would be a good choice for no other reason than it looks strange, and that is a good enough reason to try to build it. My wife thinks anyone who likes model trains are strange anyway so lets prove her right. I think the Rokal wheels might look a bit on the heavy side though.

The wheels are what I have on hand, so those will have to do.

Overall, I think building the propulsion plant for the 4-2-4 will be easier to build, as no U-joints will be needed to couple the motor to the worm gear, as the motor will have to fit in the tender area. With the rigid frame of the C.P. Huntington, there is more room for the motor to fit. The motor would need at least one u-joint to work right. I plan on using a conventional 12VDC can motor, like the kind one can get at Radio Shack.

Right now Nicholle is leaning towards the CP Huntington, as she fell in love with a 16" gauge CP Huntington model in Myrtle Beach, SC a few years ago.

If she decides to go for the C.P. Huntington, then that is what will get built first (basically her vote trumps all).

Heck, if I get my hands on more wheel-sets that would work out, I end up building an example of each!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 pm

How about the Lafayette?

http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Richard-B » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:31 pm

As a California TT'er... and longtime Espee fan...
I -have- to jump in on the C. P. Huntington (aka SP #1) side...

There are beautiful drawings from the CSRM (California State Railway Museum) at:
http://www.sacramentohistory.org/search.php?imageid=612
and
http://www.sacramentohistory.org/search.php?imageid=613

Given the -extremely- small profile of this type of engine, I think the trailing 4-wheel truck gives added room for the motor where it is most needed... i.e. NOT in a separate tender or power car.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Richard-B wrote:As a California TT'er... and longtime Espee fan...
I -have- to jump in on the C. P. Huntington (aka SP #1) side...

There are beautiful drawings from the CSRM (California State Railway Museum) at:
http://www.sacramentohistory.org/search.php?imageid=612
and
http://www.sacramentohistory.org/search.php?imageid=613

Given the -extremely- small profile of this type of engine, I think the trailing 4-wheel truck gives added room for the motor where it is most needed... i.e. NOT in a separate tender or power car.

Definitely good drawings. I can see re-scaling them to equal TT scale will be easy to do, so a lot of the research is already done in the case of the 4-2-4.

I have yet to come across anything similar for that for the Pioneer. The motor will be in the rear of the engine, as it will be hard to find a motor small enough at a decent price that will fit the bill and still fit in the boiler. I have no intention to use a power car to push a dummy engine for this model.
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models