AstroGoat760's First Scratchbuilt Steam Loco Project

Wheel Configuration to make

Poll ended at Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:39 am

4-2-0 (i.e. Pioneer)
43%
4-2-4 (i.e. CP Huntington)
57%
x-2-x (Other, must post photo of example)
No votes

Total votes : 7

Re: Angry Sailor's First Scratchbuilt Steam Loco Project

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 pm

ConducTTor wrote:The explanation is actually very good (although a have a bit of a background with capacitors). I have however, NOT thought of using them as an alternative to a mech flywheel. I'm very interested in the outcome of you project.

What is really interesting is reading some of the 1950's issues of Model Railroader that covered all sorts of flywheel mechanisms that people made, including mechanical clutches, magnetic clutches, and torque converters to name a few types.

If the capacitor flywheel works half as good as I anticipate it will in this application, there will be no need to use additional cars to act as electrical pick-ups. Testing will be done, notes taken, and the chassis altered as needed based on the running tests.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:06 pm

Well, the voting is over, and we have a winner: the Southern Pacific #1, the C.P. Huntington 4-2-4T.

Richard-B, the diagrams that you posted are very helpful and are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Now to start the process of corralling up the parts needed, and buy the parts and supplies that I need.

Pictures will be posted as milestones are reached. (Good thing I have a better camera now.....)
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:37 pm

I found the box that the parts that I built in support of the 4-2-4T project. I did not get very far before we had to pack to leave Connecticut in 2010.

I have not forgotten this project, I aim to try to restart it in 2018, using a BTTB steamer axle for the drive axle, as there is no way that the Royal axle I intended for the project will work on Kuehn track.

After some thought, I am willing to make the entire loco a dummy and use a powered boxcar if need be.
AstroGoat760

Postby Richard-B » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:I found the box that the parts that I built in support of the 4-2-4T project.
As you might expect... I'm still quite interested in the iconic (for an Espee guy) C.P. Huntington 4-2-4T...

Note that the 2019 NNGC will be held at the Sacramento CA museum where the 4-2-4T sits enshrined...
right across from SP 4294, an AC-12 4-8-8-2 Cab-forward!!!!
After some thought, I am willing to make the entire loco a dummy and use a powered boxcar if need be.
As a purist... I still like a powered engine. Given that this will mean a VERY small motor; for pulling cars, a boxcar 'helper' is NOT a bad idea.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:13 pm

I think having both a powered 4-2-4 and a powered freight car would be a better idea, rather than one or the other.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 pm

I have been thinking long and hard about this project as of late, would a four wheeled Bull-Ant look realistic enough in a boxcar body to go with a 4-2-4?

Or should I rethink the wheel configuration, and go for a 4-2-0T, with a Bull-Ant type motor in the tender to have as the first project?
AstroGoat760

Re: AstroGoat760's First Scratchbuilt Steam Loco Project

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Updated the name of the thread, as the AngrySailor is no more.
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models