Amtrak Empire Builder in TT

Re: Amtrak Empire Builder in TT

Postby sd80mac » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:11 am

Hi dileTTante,

I started this drawing shortly after the GP 35 last year sometime. I'm not sure what will be come of it, but who knows!

sd80mac

Postby dileTTante » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Impressive work, sd80mac. I hope you continiue with it, because the F40PH has uses beyond Amtrak. Thanks for showing the loco. All the drawings posted by you and others have been helpful for me to learn what Sketchup techniques to use.

Despite the simple appearance of the Genesis, the front and rear are a challenge. The nose has ten intersecting planes, and six more in the skirt around the base. Some edges are curved, and few are at a right angle to anything. Many have chamfered edges of varying radii. In the drawing the rounded edges make it really difficult to measure accurately the intersection of the edges of the planes. My attempt involved a lot of guide lines based on triangulations which made things really confusing. I have to redo some of it,

Some other difficulty came from an inaccuracy in the drawings. The beveled skirt that runs around the body and extends to make the side of the fuel tank was shown in the end views as ten inches deep at the ends, and I used that to make the first extrusion. But the side view shows the skirt as one foot deep. That dimension is important because it is the only way to make a triangle to get the angle of the bevel.

Of course these things are my problems alone. I'm showing my excuses just to explain why progress with this is so slow.

A remaining thing to learn is how to deal with hollowing out the interior, how to make the inside walls of the shell.

One of the pictures is a scan of the scale drawing. It shows that the top of the locomotive has covers which come off for servicing. I thought the covers could be combined into one separate piece in the model which could be removed for getting at the motor and decoder without taking the body off the chassis. I don't know if this is worth the trouble, or whether or not the open edges between body and cover would look bad.
Attachments
Screenshot-Amtrak_Genesis.skp - SketchUp Pro [EXPIRED]-1.jpg
Screenshot-Amtrak_Genesis.skp - SketchUp Pro [EXPIRED]-2.jpg
Screenshot-Amtrak_Genesis.skp - SketchUp Pro [EXPIRED]-3.jpg
Screenshot-Amtrak_Genesis.skp - SketchUp Pro [EXPIRED]-4.jpg
Genesis_scan.jpg
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm

dileTTante, I assume this locomotive is available in HO? Before starting on the U30B, I dug through used models at several train shows. I ended up getting one for $35. It's a great help with questionable areas or measurements.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good one. However, I'm stubborn and will continue. At the least, it's a way to learn the drawing tools. Besides I'm reluctant to spend any sort of money on models which aren't TT. Have to focus my my modest resources. I think I've got a handle on doing the Genesis but it requires a clear head and a lot of detail work on the angles. I'm longing to work on the Superliner cars for some relief. They look easier geometrically and I've thought of a work-around for getting the plans zoomed up accurately, instead of waiting for a copy of the magazine to show up like Prince Charming.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:50 pm

dileTTante wrote: instead of waiting for a copy of the magazine to show up like Prince Charming.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models