American style tracks

Re: American style tracks

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:04 am

I don't know the details but there is a definite visual difference between American and European tracks. American ties look wider and flatter and the spacing is obviously different.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby krokodil » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:32 am

Definitively the size and the spacing of US wooden ties are different, and unfortunately their condition as well. Probably due to weather or poor impregnation ( or different wood) the US ties are mostly light gray ( only the new ties are dark brown/black), while in Europe the wooden ties are usually in better conditions and the ties are mostly brown to black and there are very few "extensively" weathered ties. :wink:
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby j p » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:19 am

European ties are also light grey, especially near the coast because of the salt. The color of the (new) ties depends on the impregnation used (of course), but also on the weather conditions and the type of traffic. I would not dare to comment on the condition. Some American lines are in much better shape than European and vice versa.
Ties in steam era would be darker in both US and Europe.
This is also in Europe

As I mentioned earlier, there ARE still spikes in Europe. I have just seen them during the Easter vacation in Czech! In April 2015 there ARE still spikes in Europe. OK, It was not on any line, it was in an old depot, but they exist. http://www.vytopnajaromer.cz/Gallery/MotoLok/BN60/DSC01475.jpg So why do you have the need for writing that they disappeared after WW2?
I don't know what you mean by tie distribution under the switches. I know two ways of making the turnouts:
1. all ties are parallel to the ties on the straight track.
2. the angle of ties is adjusted to the center line of the turnout (in between the direction of the two tracks
Both versions are used in Europe, but the second is probably more common in Germany and therefore Tillig, Kuehn and Filigran make models of the 2nd type. Yes Germany is in Europe, but not the entire Europe is Germany... so please don't generalize if you don't know about the other countries.
j p

Postby j p » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:25 am

ConducTTor wrote:I don't know the details but there is a definite visual difference between American and European tracks. American ties look wider and flatter and the spacing is obviously different.

Wider yes, flatter not.
The model ties' height is not in scale. But that does not matter much when you cover (at least) the bottom of the ties with ballast.
Spacing can be the same because many different spacings are used in both US and Europe.
j p

Postby krokodil » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:19 am

J.p.

I do not know the reason why the ties in US ( not only on the costal regions) are light gray, but definitively the wooden ties in Central Europe are generally darker ( maybe it is different wood, who knows or more greasy dirt).
Yes, you can find some spikes in some depots or other railway shops ( maybe those rails were never replaced since opening), but you will not find spikes on open and used lines, not like in US (eg. In Indiana/Florida etc ) even on main lines there are still many spiked rails.
Regarding the ties on switches. In US along the frogs they use long ties (parallel to the point) in Europe after the frog they use two ties for the dividing tracks, not only in Germany.....
I did not generalize more than you, when you see some spiked rails in railway museum ( Jaromer). i can show you some recently renewed tracks in Indiana for heavy traffic and the rails are still spiked. You will not find such rails in Europe ( generally, not only in Germany).
After the II. WW many railway lines where heavily destroyed so the renewal was on daily order and I cannot remember any such line where they spiked the new rails. ( I do not even know if there is any factory in Europe producing railway fasteners for spiking.
I remember on one of the NG lines ( I am club member) they were looking for spikes and some parts for the new branch of the line - they were not able to find any supplier for spikes etc., so the branch line is bolted....
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby j p » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:15 am

Both types of turnouts are at the station just 5 minutes from my house.
All the ties here are also ligth grey, except for the main line where they were replaced by concrete last year. They used to be dark-brown or even black only at the platforms, exactly at the spots were DMUs stop and wait for their next train (leaking oil).
The ties looked like this before replacement:
They were not rotten, only the weather removed the original dark-brown appearance of the surface. This line does not get any dirt from the trains, 99% are passenger trains.
Another example of light grey ties is on a picture of a turnout with closing frog (quite rare turnout)
I don't think that it can be caused by the type of wood because the ties were made out of many different types of wood in Europe and also in US. Sometimes you can even identify the type of wood from the stamp nail. In some countries the shape of the stamp nail head identifies the wood type. (round, square, rectangle, triangle, pentagon)

The railway club in Jaromer in Czech has better things to do than replacing the ties with bolts by ties with spikes, of course. The tracks with ties are there from CSD times. I have seen tracks with ties also in Finland in 1993, but I don't have any suitable photo to post here. In general, spikes are not used on new lines in Europe but there are places where they survived until now. When modeling the transition era (1950-1960), there is a place for them even on the main lines.
It does not matter for me that much what type of fasteners the ties have, I cannot see them anyway from a distance.
j p

Postby krokodil » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Maybe the color varies also with impregnation method.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Previous

Return to General Discussion