Advice sought on track types

Re: Advice sought on track types

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm willing to bet that the wheel footprint on the track won't be much different. The wheels aren't exactly flat (for manufacturing reasons if nothing else) so the full width is never on the track anyway.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
Site Admin

Postby ozman2009 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:54 pm

True. It has just crossed my mind that, given the relative geometry, they might actually track a bit better anyway.
Sydney, Australia
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout".

Postby scaro » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 pm

qrdelo wrote:Gary,

As you are from Australia you could try "Orient Express" hobby shop in Adelaide. They carry the Tillig flexible track and points range and can order the other track and models in for you. They are the Australian importers of Tillig TT for Australia and are usually quite good. They are excellent at getting spare parts for you as well.

The trouble with European manufacturers is the postage costs. It can cost 40 euro (50-60 dollars) to send from the continent so you need a big order to make it worthwhile.

There are a few other hobby shops in Australia that stock 12mm gauged track as it is quite popular with the QR, WA, Tas and SA narrow gauge modellers as well as our cousins over the ditch (NZ).

I echo what has been said about 12mm in Australia.

While it's predominantly stuff made for the narrow gauge HO market, there is no particular reason that things like Steam Era Models wheels and axles cannot be used for TT. He makes code 88 wheels in 12mm gauge, both spoked and disc, and does the standard TT 18.5mm axle length so if you need wheels, I'd support the local guy, as he's a lot cheaper and his quality is good.

Return to Layouts / Track Plans